Carol King-ricca
Carol King-ricca
  • Safety Harbor, FL
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

HOW TO PAINT WITH CHALK PAINT?

Elena Maureen SimcicWhite Oak Studio DesignsCarol King-ricca
+12

I have an antique desk I would like to paint it with chalk paint but have never done it. Need help please.
This is the desk I would like to paint
This is the desk I would like to paint
  • Miriam I

Hi Carol, here's a Hometalk hangout we did with the @UNFOLDED and a few talented DIY bloggers. Lots of great Chalk Paint® tips here. Hope this helps! http://www.hometalk.com/1589601/chalk-paint-tips-from-the-pros-will-you-try-it

• Liz

Beautiful Piece!! Painting with chalk paint, and there are several different kinds, is basically like painting with any kind of paint. It is true it will cover almost any surface with no prepping! But the waxing is the tricky part. Waxing does take practice! There are a lot of Youtube videos you might research. There are many different kids of wax, all of which work pretty good. With chalk paint (Annie Sloan, Shabby Paint, Ce Ce Caldwell and Plaster Paint) your piece will almost always look distressed, so make sure you want your piece distressed. you may get a different answer form other Hometalkers. I think its about finding what works best for you! Practice and patience! You can do it!!!

• Tobey McCool

there are many classes available at most stores that sell chalk paint. I would highly recommend signing up for one. The painting part is easy, the wax takes a little bit of practise to get it just right. The key is not too use too much, you can wax a piece with not a lot of wax. just make sure to buff it so it is not sticky. hope this helps, once you paint with chalk paint you will be hooked, I am.

• Vintage Storehouse & Co.

Hi Carol, I just wanted to say that the desk you chose is AMAZING! I love it. My advice if your using chalk paint and plan to wax - start with a light color. The difficulty with wax that the other DIY'er are referring to usually happens when you go with a darker color. You might even want to try using oil based wipe on poly instead if you're set on using a dark color - much easier for the beginner! I wanted to show you this desk that was done with Chalk Paint: http://mypassionfordecor.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-new-desk-for-hubby.html She refinishes a very similar desk and it turns out so beautiful. Hope it helps! Kelsey

• Carol King-ricca

Saw the pics of your desk. Really Beautiful I plan to use antique white with touches of grey possibly. I also may stencil something but not sure yet.

• Carol King-ricca

Thank you Annie. I have been looking at wonder painted furniture using your paint. I will check the site and classes. Thanks again.

• White Oak Studio Designs

There are classes and blogs devoted to painting with chalk paint. You could try those. Or, do as I did, buy a can and start experimenting on small wooden items first. Get a feel for the paint and the wax and then attempt a larger piece. Chalk paint is wonderful paint-love it! Feel free to visit my blog at http;//smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com and be sure to check out Miss Mustards Seeds blog as she has many tutorials and great advice.

• White Oak Studio Designs

Might that be a sideboard? Of course you can certainly use it as a desk too! I have a vintage dressing table I use as a desk. Love it! http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

q how to paint with chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture, The vintage dressing table before This has been stripped and sanded I fixed and replaced a lot of ruined veneer on the side of this tableq how to paint with chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture, The vintage dressing table turned desk after This was painted using colors to coordinate with my office rug This was my first piece ever using chalk paint and learning to waxq how to paint with chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture, Also transformed a coordinating shield back chair to go with this desk set LOVE the burnished red of the Annie Sloan Emperors Silk red chalk paint with dark wax directly over the chalk paint A 5 00 second hand shop pillow for seatsq how to paint with chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture, A view of the broken veneer before
  • Carol King-ricca

A friend gave me this piece. She used it as a desk so I assumed it was a desk. It is very old. I just bought Annie Sloan paint and plan to do a small table first to get the feel of the paint. All of you have been so helpful. I will keep you posted. I love Hometalk.

• White Oak Studio Designs

Carol, Looking forward to seeing your piece when it is complete. I just bet it will be beautiful! there are also lots of chalk paint tutorials out there, check them out! Marion of Miss Mustard Seed and Shelly at Shizzle Design are both fountains of information on paint and painting.

• Elena Maureen Simcic

I used Annie Sloan Chalk paint too ..But I have learned to make my own paint also at 34.95 quart ..plus shipping ...I coat with Rubio Monocoat instead of wax it hardens the paint and makes a beautiful color that people can't copy so easily

• Elena Maureen Simcic

here is a during pic

q how to paint with chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture, this during work looking for the finished dresser pictures do it no justice This is Broyhill Continental Tapestry Solid maple
  • Elena Maureen Simcic

he is finished Product ..I used Annie Sloan Florence chalk paint paint door pulls Gold Sanded Top and distressed the doors and drawers used ..Rubio Antique Bronze monocoat oil.. on the top flat area and rubbed into paint for a more dramatic finish ..better then the dark wax that Annie sells

q how to paint with chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture