Dan330
Dan330
  • Saint Paul, MN
Asked on Jun 21, 2013

I need a good way to propagate rose plants.

Gaga's Garden - Susan FoxCarol GNoirin Mcbrien
+14

I have some wonderful, large, rose bushes that I would love to propagate in my garden. Does anyone have any tips for taking cuttings and growing them? I used a hormone on some cuttings before and it did not work. Any ideas? Thanks! I attached a picture with one of the rose plants in the foreground (far right of the picture).
I would like to propagate the rosebush in the foreground on the right. Does anybody have any tips?
  • Cynthia

Such a beautiful property!

Here are tips on propagating roses by cuttings from the University of California: http://ucanr.edu/sites/UC_Master_Gardeners/files/23469.pdf

• Barb Rosen

What a beautiful pathway and plantings, Dan! I love this article about rose propagation - it uses potatoes! http://www.amateurgardening.com/home/taking-rose-cuttings/

• Dan330

Thanks for the links.

• Donna Shipley

Gorgeous garden!!!

• Betsy Clark

I'm a Master Gardener and I love this - http://www.backyarddiva.ca/propagate-roses-with-potatoes/ Check it out!

• Dan330

Thanks, Betsy.

• Jill

My grandmother used to do it all the time. She taught me and I have tried it a few times with some success. Start off early in the year after it warms up nicely. Simply find a wild cane that grows straight up from the root. The thicker the better. Clip it off with sharp shears and strip all the leaves off of it trimming it down to about 12" in length. Plant it at least 2/3 deep and water. Place an upside down very large plastic pot that has drainage holes in the bottom on top of it (she always told me to put a rock on top to keep the pot down). Remember to water it every few days. Don't lift the pot off for several months. In late fall take the pot off and the rose bush should have leaves and have been rooted well by this time. Warning though, if you take the pot off too early the plant usually won't survive. If you live in a colder climate, don't plant in the ground. Do it in another pot so you can bring it inside during cold spells.

• Dan330

Thanks Jill.

• Karen McLendon

Pinterest had a couple of posting of how to propagate roses using a potato...it seemed to make sense to me...stick a cutting in a potato and bury the potato...look it up!

• Kay Love-Wood

Google this, cause I saw it recently. New growth grow in potatoes, thats right I saw them growing in potatoes. Just like Karen above, great idea

• Sharron Pittenger

Same as the above comment, very interesting.

• Dan330

Thanks.

• Anne gaddis

i saw the potato thing also. im going to try it.

• Noirin Mcbrien

Beautiful!!

• Carol G

Make some cuttings on a slant (you can use the same branch) and set them in the dirt and cover with a clear glass jar. Cut off any leaves. Set them under the bush for the winter. When spring comes check the jar and on warm spring days uncover for a few hours and cover again for the night. Make sure your cuttings have at least two sets of buds under the ground and at least three sets above so that you can see them through the glass. I have had luck with many species of shrubs such as lilacs, hydrangea and butterfly bushes but I assume it will not work with the grafted roses but have not tried. Some hydrangea and butterfly bushes have started on their own so I leave them grow for a few years then cut them loose and replant. Some plants may not be propagated so be sure and look at the label. I have had about a 70% success rate.

• Gaga's Garden - Susan Fox

Dan, You have some of the most successful rosarians in the country living in your area. They are members of the Twin Cities Rose Club. Go and join the Twin Cities Rose Club or just go to Jack Falkers blog he wrote a post on propagating roses. His blog is http://jack-rosarian.blogspot.com/ tell him Susan Fox of Gaga's Garden sent you. My friend Jack is a member and he is one of the most successful 'propagators' of roses I know. He just mailed me two of his favorites that he 'started' and I just planted them. You will be on your way in no time and loving it. Susan Fox :)