What type of door knob is this?

I need eight replacements of these types of door knobs for my interior and I cannot find them anywhere. The inside mechanism has broken on three of them leaving people locked out of rooms until they have to be broken as there are not screws on one side and no way to release.
I am not sure what they are called and there is not a brand name or marking on them anywhere which makes searching online for them difficult. Has anyone seen these before and know what they are called or where to buy? The cutout on the door is not typical to a normal door knob and I am stumped.
I am also open to suggestions on other creative ideas! I just don't want to spend the money to replace the whole doors.
q what type of door knob is this , doors, home decor id
q what type of door knob is this , doors, home decor id
q what type of door knob is this , doors, home decor id, The cutout of the door
The cutout of the door.
  8 answers
  • Jemma Dee Jemma Dee on May 28, 2016
    Looks like an antique rim lock. If you google it you will see places that sell parts and videos on restoring them. Good luck!
  • DS DS on May 28, 2016
    I'd check a site like rejuvenation.com they have tons of vintage knobs, handles, lights, etc. I bought a period-style ceiling light for our 1926 home. Their support team is very helpful so I'd contact them with a photo. http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/categories/restored-antiques/hardware/door-hardware
  • Kelli Kelli on May 28, 2016
    These are antique doorknobs. I had the same problem when we lived in our old house that was built in 1913. There is no use trying to replace them, because well... No One sells them anymore. Also, to get the holes to match up and not have all different kinds of holes in the door and door jamb, you are going to have to replace the entire door. Start with your outer doors and work inward. First are the front and back doors, next do bathrooms, then bedrooms, then closets etc... you will get it done eventually. Frent doors and back doors can be pretty expensive, that's why I say start there. Another thing to take into account is that you can usually find doors that people are discarding, or in restore shops. Don't be afraid to scoop up all the doors you find. Solid doors can be cut to measure, and are much more durable than the hollow doors that are in the cookie cutter houses of today,that is important if you have children or worse yet teenagers. They tend to be harder on their doors, slamming them, punching them, etc... The different textures and designs will give your home and eclectic touch. (Don't forget to replace the door jamb Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully I helped.
  • William William on May 28, 2016
    I worked with a restoration carpenter, on and off, for about ten years. He restored many Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan homes in the Chicagoland area. My suggestion is to make a perfect rectangle template slightly larger than the lockset mortise. Use the template to cut the mortise in the door out. Fill in the cutout with hardwood inserts using wood glue. Sand the surfaces smooth. Then you can use any type of lockset you choose to replace with. We used restoration hardware that was readily available.
  • Lrfraser Lrfraser on May 29, 2016
    Go on ebay.co.uk - you should be able to find them. They are a common lock in the UK
  • Sandra Sandra on May 29, 2016
    take them to a locksmith.
  • Harry Harry on May 29, 2016
    Try Renovater's Supply
  • Chris Smith Chris Smith on May 30, 2016
    William above alluded to the name. They are called 'mortise' locks and are not used much anymore as they are very difficult to fit. I had a carpenter flat out refuse to fit one that I had as it was too fiddly! Best of luck in finding them. restoration stores and ebay uk will be your best bet.