Julie J
Julie J
  • Massillon, OH
Asked on Jun 22, 2013

White Bugs on My Hostas

MegsJulie JGabrielle Falk
+13

Does anyone know what these white bugs are? They are on my hostas and on my sister in law's flowers too. Any suggestions for eliminating them? I'd rather not use something toxic. I have a small grandson who loves to help garden.
Little white bugs on my hostas. Help!
Little white bugs on my hostas. Help!
  • Pam

Can't really tell from the picture, but it looks like whitefly. Try an insecticidal soap...most nurseries or even your local hardware store will probably carry it.

• Sheila E

Wooly aphids.

• Jeanine Wester

If it is aphids I know ladybugs eat them. I don't remember what store I was at, but there are some places I've seen selling actual packages of ladybugs that you can release in your garden to eat the aphids.

• S.venkatesan

To eliminate these white bugs, the only way is to use awater jet on that leaves and stems. In addition you have to add some Neem powder tothe root soil once in amonth to get better results.

S. Venkatesan is correct. Usually a good blast of water will get rid of aphids. If not, try a commercially available insecticidal soap or neem oil.

• Julie J

Thanks, everyone. I'll be after these guys today!

• April E

actually this looks like mealy bugs they are a scale insect that are hard to get rid of are they "fuzzy" it seems so from your picture and the positioning on the plant is proper for mealy bugs go to you local garden center with some of the bugs in a plastic bag and make sure also ask them for the proper chemicals to rid yourself of them usually the best way is a systemic insecticide and also swiping them w/ a alcohol swab will help for some instant kill but you have to use the systemic for quite awhile as their eggs can be "dormant for months

• Julie J

Thanks, April. They are fuzzy and almost like powder.

• Peg

Fill a pot with water & add few squirts of liquid DAWN. Pour over whole plant...................

• Julie J

@Peg Thank you! Luckily, I didn't have these bugs this year but I'll know what to do in the future:)

• Peg

Julie, use this on any plants in your garden....Does work

• Gabrielle Falk

Could it be the 'mealie' bug (that's what it is called in Australia). Powdery in appearance. I took a plant to the nursery years ago, not knowing anything about gardening, with this powdery 'thing' on it, and the nursery man nearly went hysterical as they didn't have any in the nursery. Poor fellow. It travels from plant to plant easily. Have you tried white oil?

• Julie J

Hi @Gabrielle Falk! I am not sure, and it very well could be. Thank you for the information and I'll check it out! I haven't tried to grow them again since that year.

• Megs

Nope! These are on my plants, too and I've just researched them as well. they're juvenile plant hoppers. They'll actually do little damage to the plant, so no worries! However, you can spray them off with a hose, no insecticides needed, which is a plus.
    Here's where I found my info.:

Good luck!