Evelyn McMullen
Evelyn McMullen
  • Montgomery, AL
Asked on Jun 22, 2013

Planting hens & chicks

Evelyn McMullenCynthiaDouglas Hunt
+2

My hens & chicks in the ground are not doing well at all; I want to plant them in an unused birdbath. Do I need to put any rocks under the soil for drainage? The birdbath won't hold water for the birds anymorel
  • Carol Dingwell

I grow hens and chicks everywhere and anywhere. I don't think they are picky about drainage or anything.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

This might help a little...Hen and chicks are popular in gardens for their varied and interesting appearance and hardiness. They are grown as container planting or in rock gardens. They do best in well-drained, rocky soil; if they stay wet, the outer leaves will rot. Although they do best in sun, they will grow in light shade.

If your birdbath won't hold water it should be fine. I would use a lean, quick draining potting mix like they sell for cactus, or, at the least, use that 50-50 with potting soil.

• Cynthia

Plant them in sandy soil or add compost, potting soil, gravel or vermiculite to the ground to help with drainage. Hens and Chicks survive in soil where other plants can't grow. They do great with very little soil, even in gravel and cracks in rock walls, however, accumulated water will kill the plants. Ideally the soil pH level should be neutral, between 6.6 and 7.5. (Youngs-garden.com)

• Evelyn McMullen

Many thanks to all of you for the great suggestions. Will get out & do my planting.