Cindy Lundquist-Heldmann
Cindy Lundquist-Heldmann
  • Munising, MI
Asked on Jun 22, 2013

Help!

April EBrenda De LairDouglas Hunt
+9

Can anyone help me identify this?
q help, gardening
  • Barb Rosen

Your pretty yellow plant is the perennial Lysimachia Punctata, Cindy. It is commonly known as yellow loosestrife. Here is a little about it http://www.robsplants.com/plants/LysimPunct

• Cindy Lundquist-Heldmann

Thank you so much! I am so happy to finally know what it is!

• Barb Rosen

My pleasure to help you. Happy Gardening!

• Mary B

I have this plant too....it is a plant that I got from my mother in law many years ago and just keep moving from house to house....I always laugh because she called it a CORNFlower....probably because it kind of looks like an ear of corn....but obviously it is not a cornflower...it IS Loosestrife, but a pretty one! Have a great day!

A lovely plant, and considerably less thuggish than its cousins.

• Elaine Simmons

Ironic that you should ask this........I have one too and didn't know what it was. Douglas, what does thuggish mean.........was that a typo.......should it be sluggish?

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I am thinking @Douglas Hunt meant his remark to mean that it can be aggressive and take over a small country given time.

• Elaine Simmons

Donna, then so Iowa would be doomed? :)

• Eulalia

How pretty!

Donna is exactly right. Gooseneck loosestrife and purple loosestrife are notorious garden bullies, but the yellow version is pretty mild-mannered.

• Brenda De Lair

In Canada we call it yellow loosetrife. It looks lovely at first but after the flower fades, the leaves start to look ratty so I have to cut it back. I have a gooseneck loosestrife but it is white and short, and the flower heats form the shape of a gooseneck. I think pretty well all loosestrife plants are quite invasive.

• April E

actually loostrife is only "thuggish" under certain conditions and only certain species of it are ever "thuggish" and in the north most of these conditions cannot be met so iowa would be safe lol