Sherry McBride
Sherry McBride
  • Newburgh, IN
Asked on Jun 22, 2013

More Repurposing Ideas

ZReginaBelinda Collins
+16

I went to W. Virginia to visit my dad and he took me to an auction. I fell in love with this old table and actually won it for $30!! It's very heavy and measures 31" tall. It's 44" long and 28" wide. This is definitely an older piece and I would like some opinions on whether you would refinish it or paint it and ideas to use it for other than a desk (it's really a great size to use for my mosaic projects).
I have a couple of other pieces my dad got out of his attic and gave me that I will be posting also for ideas. I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with the suggestions for the tea cart I posted earlier. I am going to be a busy girl for a while if my dad keeps up with his "cleaning out the house" phase....lol
I promise to post before/after pictures as I finish these pieces so everyone can see the outcome.
Front side of the table.  I think the slotted wood is terrific.
Front side of the table. I think the slotted wood is terrific.
Back and side of table.  Both sides have shelves - I love it!
Back and side of table. Both sides have shelves - I love it!
  • Tudyrunningwater

what a great sewing table it would make

• Sherry McBride

You're right, it would! I wish I knew how to use a sewing machine....lol

• Z

Hi @Sherry. What a great library table you "found"! I love it. I personally would NOT paint it. But instead refinish in to a dark walnut. The current color is very nice too and I'm betting it would clean up with just some Restore-A-Finish. Though I agree it would work well for a mosaic work station, with the shelves serving as supply storage, my first thought was it would make a great kitchen island. The shelves on the side could be used for cookbooks, mixing bowls and/or small appliances you use often but don't want taking up counter space. It's a little short for an island but if you can attach locking casters to the legs and get a glass top cut to fit or add some Hardibacker and granite tiles for a better kitchen work surface the height should work.

• Sherry McBride

Becky, that is a great idea!!! I'm definitely going to consider this one - thank you!

• Peggy Hazelwood

I agree with Becky. I wouldn't paint this great library table. If you're going to use if for mosaics, be sure to protect the top when working.

• Sandy Harmon

Great Mission Oak piece! I agree with the Restore-A-Finish but would not stain it darker. Actually an expensive antique and to paint it would diminish it's value.

• Leslie Austin

I love Becky's kitchen island idea if you have the space. Even baskets would look great on the shelves for storing kitchen things.

• Kathryn

Beautiful Mission piece, and I am sure it is quite valuable. Try giving it a good scrub with Soilmax (new name of Soilax) and then see how the finish looks. It is amazing how much dirt will come away, and quite often the finish is pretty decent!

• Melissa

Try rubbing it down with Goop (not the sand/abrasive type), then wipe it clean. It takes off an amazing amount of dirt and grime, and does not harm the finish. Looks fantastic when done!

• Mary Schroer

agree with Melissa it looks great now, just needs a little elbow grease. Mosiac Tile sounds good too.

• Cyndy chaszeyka

I would not refinish it to anything but it's natural color. Simply sand it with a fine grade sand paper wipe it down with a tack rag and finsih it with a satin varnish. The piece you bought is an antique and actually is worth way more than you paid for it. I would look for a manufactuers mark on the drawer or take out the drawer and look up under it . It is in the craftsman style(Mission). I have collected antiques for 40 or more years. You got an excellent buy. It would make a great sewing table as it is.

• Cynthia

http://www.etsy.com/listing/127224994/antique-mission-style-oak-desk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=vintage_mid&gclid=CIHv9pmR_bcCFVBp7Aod9AwALw This one is similar selling for $195 on Etsy. I'd check with Antique dealer/appraiser and see if it's worth alot more. That would determine if I restain or paint it.

• Cherie

Sherry, I too, have a Mission library table. It was my grandmother's ... I'm from WV. You scored on this one big time!! I am a natural/stain finishing person; love the grain in all wood. Currently, mine is in the dining room bay window, facing south with filtered light ... topped with one of my grandma's handmade quilts and a sheet of cut to fit acrylic to protect the quilt and table top from the houseplants I keep on it ... violets, orchids, etc and a lamp. Sounds like you've some good ideas yourself and suggestions from our "Hometalk fraternity". Hope you will post with an update when you finish. Cheers! CW

• Wanda sinnema

lovely wood grain, you did get a real find in the rough... I would clean it first, then see how it looks.I WOULD NOT PAINT, the graining is such wonderful part of this piece. I also like the idea of a kitchen island if space permits. If used for crafting I would top it with glass to make sure you don't damage the top... clean it and mostly I would enjoy it..

• TJ

As others have said, I definitely would not paint it. Anything but a good clean and finish restorer would certainly devalue this beautiful antique. I have a big wood antique desk and the restore finish that was put on over 25 years ago has held up amazingly with daily use.

• Marci N

That is a cool table! I too wouldn't paint it, but wold be tempted to mosaic the top. Or if you didn't want to permanatly change the top mosaic a piece of plywood Or glass to sit on top of it. With some cleaning and oiling this could really shine.

• Belinda Collins

Wow! What a price for such a beautiful mission style desk. I would keep it the natural color and use it for a desk. These babies are getting harder to find. Enjoy it!

• Regina

I agree with everyone who says do not paint or even refinish your mission style, quarter-sawn oak library table. It is worth about $200 as is, and painting/refinishing devalues antique pieces substantially. The original state should not be altered. My recommendation is to dust it with a Swifer type cloth, clean it with Murphy's oil (applied to cleaning rag--do not spray directly onto the table), and clean it again with Liquid Gold furniture polish (applied to cleaning rag--do not spray directly onto the table). By the way, don't forget to add shipping charges to the table listed on eBay for $195 if you're using that for comparison.

• Z

@Regina, Sherrie's desk is not quarter sawn oak. The desk below is. It's also known as Tiger Oak because the grain looks a bit like tiger stripes. It was very often used in making furniture during the Arts and Crafts movement of the early 20th century.

more repurposing ideas, painted furniture, repurposing upcyclingmore repurposing ideas, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, This is two ways to get quarter sawn wood