Cindy Guenther
Cindy Guenther
  • Montgomery, TX
Asked on Jun 22, 2013

WHAT TO DO WITH A OLD HOT TUB?

White Oak Studio DesignsYair SpolterJeri Cleveland
+5

HAVE A OLD 3 PERSON HOT TOB THAT DOESN'T WORK AND COST TO MUCH TO FIX. HOW TO RECYCLE IT?
  • Jeri Cleveland

My sister is using hers as a planter for her veggie garden. It's a perfect height for no bending. Her husband rigged a board that stretches across the tub with a sprinkler on it to make watering easier, too. It's located on her patio in CA and is protected from the heat of direct sunlight, yet gets enough light to have a flourishing garden.

• Jeannine Maranchuk

If it doesn't leak maybe sink it into the ground as a pond?

• Yair Spolter

@Jeri Cleveland that sounds awesome! Can you ask your sister to post some photos here on Hometalk? I'd love to see it.

• Jessie

when I purchased my 100 yr old home there was an old fiberglass hot tub on the property, we dug a hole placed the fiberglass tub in the ground and lined it with pond liner. I added rocks and and plants and an above ground filter adding fish was the last step. We love it.

• Val Roche

Suggest you Google up ""recycling old bathtubs and sinks " for some fantastic ideas

• Jeri Cleveland

Yair, I will see if I can get her to send a picture. She's in CA, I'm in WA, otherwise I'd take it myself!

• Yair Spolter

Thanks @Jeri! You can also invite her to HT here: http://www.hometalk.com/member/import_friends.php

• White Oak Studio Designs

Along the same line, I'm about ready to have a hot tub cover to "recycle." I HATE the though of putting it in the landfill. Any idea of how to turn this into something productive? The only thing I can think of is a "umbrella" for our chickens! I wondered if the hot tub base could somehow be used as a raised garden bed? Or maybe a large animal watering trough (if it does not leak)?