Pam Smith
Pam Smith
  • Hanford, CA

American Flag Made With Pickets

Hi there! I thought with Memorial Day this weekend and 4th of July coming up, I would come up with a patriotic craft. I had originally thought I would make this flag using wooden molding pieces, but then I remembered I had all these leftover pickets, so I might as well use them! I had a small picket table I was no longer using, so I took it apart and created this flag.
american flag made with pickets, outdoor living, painted furniture, patriotic decor ideas, seasonal holiday decor
I used 7 pickets for my flag. I scraped any loose paint and dirt off and then cleaned them up. I knew I was going to paint them, so I didn't scrape them perfectly. I also wanted a rustic look, so roughness was fine too.
I decided to do grey and white for my colors. I don't use red much for decorating and I wanted to be able to use this for any decor. I used Rustoleum Spray Paint in Antique White and Granite Grey.
After all the pieces were painted and dry, I used narrow boards to attach them all together on the back. I used a nail gun for mine, but nail and hammer or screw would work too. This also gave me a place to put a wire on the back for hanging.
I had a small square piece of wood from the table I took apart and painted it bright blue for my corner with the stars. After the paint was dry, I sanded the board a little so it would be more rustic like the pickets.
I attached the blue square to the corner of the picket flag.
These will be my stars!! I have been collecting bottle caps since my girls were small. We would go for walks and pick them up along the way. We sorted them out and picked out 36 we thought would work. I still have plenty for other projects! I attached them with the nail gun also (obviously, I love the nail gun!)
Here is the finished project! I really like how rustic it is, but still fits with any decor!
Now it is ready for display and the holidays!
Thanks for visiting!
Pam Smith

• Renata

Is ur state the 36th state?, is that why u only used 36?

• Pam Smith

Wow!! So many comments about 36 'stars!' I just used 36 because there wasn't room for 50. It's just a representation of the flag, not the real thing!! Thanks for all you comments!

• Pam Smith

There have been a ton of comments about the color of the flag. I guess I am just nontraditional. I don't use red and green at Christmas either!!! :0

• Petuniasgran

Pam while I think your idea of using the fence was very, very clever and creative but changing the colors of Old Glory? Sorry, I'm old school when it comes to our flag...I was raised in a military family and the red white and blue has special meaning for us.

• Rebecca Platt

I agree about the color of the flag. There are some things that should be left alone. The US flag is the US flag because of the colors as well as the number of stars and strips. It means something around the world. It's a whole different story with Christmas.