Karen
Karen
  • Canada

How to Make the Easiest Canada Day Wreath Ever!

$20.00

I was admiring all of the 4th of July wreaths on Hometalk and inspiration struck. I decided I wanted to make one for Canada Day. I had an idea in mind, but after wandering through Dollar Tree and coming across some artificial carnations in Canada's favourite colours (notice the Canadian spelling here), I decided to expand on my original design.
how to make the easiest canada day wreath , crafts, how to, wreaths
I started with a 12 inch foam wreath, one bolt each of red and white 6 inch wide tulle, about 4 bunches each of red and white carnations, and a sheet of craft foam to cut some embellishments with my Cricut machine.
I cut each of the bundles of flowers down to a 2 inch stem.
This is the perfect length to push into the foam wreath and have it secure without the need of gluing. Although, I may go back and glue them if I decide to hang the wreath on the outside of my front door.
I cut all the flowers first, and then cut the tulle into 18 inch lengths.
Starting on one end, I double knotted a red piece of tulle and then directly across from it I tied a white piece. This helps to make sure the sides are even.
I then just filled the rest in. They're tied about 1/2 inch apart.
I used all of the tulle to complete this project.
Once all of the tulle was tied on, I took my flowers, and starting on the side of the wreath, I pushed the stems into the foam wreath form.
I then did a second row going straight down on the face of the wreath.
I cut several maple leaf shapes in 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch sizes with my Cricut cutting machine.
I laid out the maple leafs on the white side of the wreath until I liked the look of it, and then I used a glue gun to affix them.
Attach a ribbon to hang the wreath and you're all done! In all the project only took 2 hours to complete. I've since made 2 more for friends!

• 12 inch foam wreath  (Michaels Arts & Crafts)
  • Red & White bolts of Tulle 6 inches wide  (Michaels Arts & Crafts)
  • Red & White Silk Carnations - about 4 bunches each  (Dollar Tree)

• Beverly Parks

The tulle strips appear shorter on the final photo. Did you trim them after putting the flowers on?

• Kim Robinson

Do you know how I could get the maple leafs I have a CRICUT machine but my computer is not compatible for it, it's too old, can I buy them some where do you know??? Anything would be helpful or I'll be tracing and cutting. Ugghh