Leanna Richmond
Leanna Richmond
  • Mayflower, AR
Asked on Jun 23, 2013

What potted herbs and veggies grow well in pots

Douglas HuntCynthia

I have a small amount of herbs I grow each mostly in their own pot and tomatoes and peppers. My thyme always dies, does it require more watering then my basil, rosemary, chives, spearment and others. I would additionally like to add more veggies and herbs into my collection but need ones that are somewhat drought resistant and do well in pots. The veggies are on the West side of the house and get intense South afternoon heat and the herbs are in East side mostly morning sun and afternoon shade.
  • Cynthia

Alll herbs should do well in all pots. Just make sure they are deep enough and wide enough. Also make sure you have drainage holes as most herbs do not like wet roots.

Cynthia is right. Thyme requires no more water than any of the other plants you mentioned. But in that kind of sun and heat, you may well have to water twice a day depending on the size of your pots.