Chiaroscuro Calla Lilly Coffee Table

$70

Damaged abused coffee table given a new home and a classier look. I found a coffee table on a garage sale site and I knew it would be perfect for an idea I had been thinking about.
This table had really been through some use. When I bought the table it had children's stickers on it, major indentions, a lot of scratches and even had gum stuck to the bottom of it! I started by taking off the heavy varnish with Klean strip stripper. (after scraping off the stickers)
Almost done prepping but it started raining!
After varnishing I sanded down the table and wiped it down of any dust or debris.
Once the table was dried I drew on a lily outline and started staining around it.
Trouble in the corner.
As I started staining I noticed that there were some spots that would not absorb stain. I did not worry I knew that I could use Unicorn spit to cover these areas the gel stain is very versatile! As for the lily I used a cloth to lightly add stain to selected areas and just keep layering till I felt it was done.
Coming together
After I was done staining the table my next step is to add on my highlights with Unicorn Spit's White Ning and Midnight's Blackness. Adding shadow and highlights can really make your picture 3D like! I used a cloth and a paint brush to blend it in.
Before Polyurethane
Being new to working with furniture and Unicorn spit I am still learning on how polyurethane can really change the look you have before you poly it. So after adding the poly I lost some of the white highlights but I still think it turned out beautiful.
Thank you for checking out my coffee table project. It was a lot of work but I consider it fun work so that's not really work right? :) Please feel free to stop and join my Facebook page which has other projects like this at Cakes and Coffee tables.

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous

• Gabriela negru

buna ziua, vreau si eu sa reconditionez o masuta de sufragerie exact ca cea de mai sus,trebuie neaparat sa o curat cu un smirghel sau exista o solutie cu care pot indeparta lacul si apoi sa o vopsesc? cea prezentata a iesit foarte frumoasa.

multumesc

Hello, I want to refurbish a living room table just like the one above, do I have to clean it with a sandpaper or is there a solution that I can remove the lake and then paint it? the one presented was very beautiful.

thank you

• Mary Alice

Hello Gabriela,

Thank you! you could do either just sand it or put a stripper on it before painting.

• E

Definitely not a do it myself project. Very beautiful. You're extremely talented.

• Bek

There is no way on this earth I could ever do this! HOWEVER...should PCH ever come to my door, may I contact you to do one for me?

• Momsila

Two thumbs up :-) you did so very well in this project . Something you did for yourself l would consider priceless. Keep it up it is beautiful.

• Patty

You're very talented. A beautiful piece!