Diana C
Diana C
  • Jackson, MI

I have a large oval mirror on my dresser that i want to use in my living room. its heavy so whats the best way to hang?

DeniseHome Repair TutorWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+6

It's quite large, and is a cherry color with a band of gold colored trim. Any suggestions would be good.
  • Home Repair Tutor

Diana, How heavy is it and will you be using a wire to hang it or does it have mounts on the frame?

• Project Style, LLC

Our installer often recommends a French cleat for hanging heavy mirrors or artwork. A home improvement or hardware store can show you what that is. You will need to be sure to hang into studs or use wall anchors. We don't recommend using wire for mirrors.

• Project Style, I would be interested in knowing why you do not suggest wire? Most heavy mirrors I have seen and have hung over the years all had wires.

• KMS Woodworks

I second the French Cleat, I try to limit wire hung stuff to 10 to 15 pounds. I'm currently restoring a old mirror frame that with the mirror weighed in at close to 30 pounds.

• Diana C

think i will check into the cleat, it is fairly heavy and is about four and a half feet wide . will let you know how it works out.

• Project Style, LLC

@Woodbridge Environmental - most manufacturers do not recommend wire because over time it can stretch or be stressed (metal fatigue). We do see numerous heavy mirrors and pieces of artwork that are hung on wire but we prefer to not run the risk of having a heavy piece fall and break.

• Thanks Project, I assume the quality of the wire also has a big factor in this as well. Lean something every day!

• Home Repair Tutor

Thanks Project Style for the feedback, I too learned something new today!

• Denise

So, how do you hang something that big and heavy?