Stump Solar Lights

$20

This project is so easy it should be illegal! I think this project is by far my favorite and was the most shocking transformation of two old stumps--it's amazing what a little bees wax will do to wood!

*Note: I ended up not using the string lights, stars or moss on this project.

The first step to make these beautiful stump lights is to remove the solar light from the post it comes attached to.

Next, determine which paddle bit fits the solar light post the best. In this case, with the $4.88 single solar lights from Home Depot, the 13/16 bit fits perfectly.

After you've chosen your bit, eye up the middle of your stump and make a mark.

*Note: I had taken a wire brush and cleaned my stumps up before beginning the drilling process.

Now it's time to drill your hole.

You'll want to drill your hole about 3/4" deep.

*Note: You'll need to drill your hole as deep as your socket is on the bottom of your solar light once it is removed from the post. Again, I purchased the $4.88 individual solar lights from Home Depot so for these lights, the socket (or bottom end of the light) was approximately 3/4" long.

After your hole is drilled, take your bees wax and rub it on your stumps. Be generous with the wax! You can use a clean cloth to rub it on but I used my hands since the wood was so smooth. I love this wax because it smells so good and it leaves the wood looking so beautiful.

*Note: you'll want to reapply the wax once a year to protect the wood from additional weathering.

Next, pop your lights into the holes you drilled.

Finally, instead of adding different ornamental elements to my stumps like I had originally thought of, I ended up adding two rustic door pieces. My husband and I are always looking for random, old trinkets for potential projects and these came off of a pair of antique doors we scored a few years ago. My husband took the acrylic knobs off of them and we were left with these unique, rusted, metal door pieces. I'm sure you could find similar door pieces at junk barns or antique shops.

Aren't these gorgeous??! I'm absolutely in love with these solar stumps!

• Tree stumps
  • Solar lights  (Home Depot)
  • Bees wax  (Home Depot)

13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful

• Renee

is there anything you put such as glue etc to secure the post, or it fits snug enough without it so you can change it out when it stops working?
    • Diana

you wouldn't want to glue it because eventually these will wear out and you want to put another one in.. You can always wrap paper around the bottom or tape or yarn to make it more snug
  • Maffi Oxford

Had you thought to mix glitter with the beeswax used on the top.
  • Jason snyder

What kind of wood works best for this? Best way of trimming bark off so it looks like picture?

• Kathy

Yes I’m going to try this.How do you get the bark off the stumps to be smooth like that

• Joanie

These look up scale on the stumps!!!