Wine Bottle Tiki Torches

$18

With summer comes bugs, and more annoyingly, mosquitos! Thankfully, this summer I will have these nice tiki torches for my outdoor table when my husband and I entertain guests.

First step, you'll want to fill your wine bottle with marbles or rocks. *Note: If you don't have any blank wine bottles around, simple take an empty wine bottle, soak it in hot soapy water, peel the labels off, then take a Brillo or SOS pad and remove the remaining adhesive.
Next, pour your tiki torch fuel into your wine bottle. You don't have to use a funnel but I did in order to avoid spillage.
After your bottle is full (right about to where the bottle curves into the neck), take your teflon tape and wrap it around the wide end of your copper coupling (1/2"x3/8"). I chose a wine bottle that had a wine opening so I wrapped the tape and kept fitting it in the mouth of the bottle until it was snug.
Next, slide your wick into the coupling.
Then, place your wick into the bottle, ensuring that the coupling fits snuggly.
The next step is optional but I wanted to give my tiki torch a little more stability so I adhered it to a 4" Terra Cotta saucer.
Simply apply a strong adhesive such as E6000 to the saucer, then place your wine bottle on the saucer and let it sit to dry.
Since I live very close to the beach, I decided to add a little leftover jute rope I had handy as well as a seashell, using E6000 adhesive. Dress up your bottle however you'd like and enjoy a night outside with less bites! *Note: use the 1/2" copper cap to place over your coupling when your torch isn't being used.

1/2"x3/8" copper coupling

• Charlene Keith

Does the bottle get hot

• Miriam Lavandero

Does the bottle get hot?

• Mary N Marvin Keller

What is the point of the marbles??? Weight? Aesthetics?

• Karen Fitch

I think it is so you can add less oil, if the bottle was clear it would be aesthetics too!

• Kim Merrett

Yes they are pretty in a clear bottle, helps with weight to stabilize the bottle, and you use less oil.

• Crystal Martin Sotelo

This is a fantastic idea. Thank you for sharing. I do have a question of how does this help with bugs?

• Barb

use citronella torch fuel

• Nan5671199

Beautiful! I found anew citronella fuel this year with cedar in it. Does a much better job on the Texas sized mosquitoes. Found it at both Walmart and Lowes.

• Kim Merrett

Nancy! Thanks for the heads up about the new fuel with cedar! Must try as we are also in Texas.

• Claire Chambers

Some people are very allergic to Cintronella. Just thought that I would mention it. Fantastic and romantic idea!

• Sally DeVillez Wood

How do you get the wick to advance when it burns down?

• Cynthia Nye

I would think you could pull it up when it's out...not lit

• Karen Butcher Worrell

I would use pliers to pull up the wick.

• Peggy Gipyon

I made these several years ago. You will need needle nose pliers to pull the wick up as it burns down. Also don't leave these out where they can sit in the rain because the 1/2" cap on top doesn't work very well keeping the rain out of the bottle and then you have to replace your torch fuel.

• Ad

How do you work the wicker down if the marbles fill the bottle?

• Kim Merrett

I don't think the marbles completely full the bottle. Probably only a third to half at most. The wick should bend etc. or you could cut the wick in half. Ours lasted a long time. Just depends on how often and how long you burn it.

• Sally Piazza

I don't think she filled it with marbles -/ look at the pictures and I see only marbles in the bottom third of the bottle.

• Ellen Anderson

She said fill with marbles to the curve in the neck of the bottle.or just before....then fill with oil.

• Rebecca

She said fill your bottle with torch fuel to the curve in the neck of the bottle...

• Donna Norris

The only reason the marbles are there are to give the bottle a little bit of weight at the bottom. If you filled the bottle with marbles up to the neck that would DEFEAT this purpose by making its center of gravity TOO high and THEN it would tip over in a slight wind!! I WOULD HIGH RECOMMEND adding that TERRA COTTA SAUCER to the bottom so it has a BIGGER "footprint", making it less likely to tip over, ESPECIALLY when lit!!!!! PREVENT ACCIDENTS FROM HAPPENING!!! Secure it VERY tightly to its base!!!!!

• Janice DeLong

Rebecca, she only said to add the FUEL to where the neck curves.

• The6672549

I just filled them about 2/3 full. They give the bottle stability & help to keep the wick up!

• Sam W

I have replaces the steel can that come with the torch holders on metal spikes. However, the spike become are very top heavy with marbles, can anyone suggest a lighter weight material?

• Rhonda

Can you paint the bottles and still be safe from exploding?

• TR1

Paint won't make it explode! I don't think you'd wanna paint it, at least not more than decorating anyway as the glass with the marbles and the light when lit is what makes this idea

• Cindi byington

What is the safest way to extinguish these.

• Bdb6616727

At craft stores you can buy same size stones that are shiney that come in all colors. Almost like marbles bit flat. Can I use those? And will it have the same effect? These seem easier to get ahold of than marbles.

• Cindy tustin

need to make sure they will fit in the opening of bottle.

• Lynda

I've seen marbles at the Dollar Store.

• Jennie Lee

The marbles serve two purposes: making it prettier and making it more stable. To avoid tipping, don't really FILL it, just put maybe 3" of them in.

• Mag5372191

You can also find marbles & decorative pebbles of different sizes @ the dollar tree & 99cent stores

• GK

for dark colored glass that you won't see the shape of the marbles you could go to a landscape supply & get gravel.

• Mary M. Prinzavalli

Your can find clear, or colored round and sometimes flat in all colors at Hobby Lobby, Michaels store , Walmart and probably KMart. I have bought them to use in vases, especially if you can see through it, for artificial flowers and can use them for real flowers.

• Evil

Lynda is right Michaels $3.99 Dollar Tree, well $1

• Missy Alizadeh

so the bottles won't crack when the copper heats up?

• Jennie Lee

I've seen a LOT of "glass bottle into tiki torch" ideas, and never heard of a problem with that. Perhaps it's because the bottleneck gets hot uniformly, all around.

• Ann

Also the Teflon tape may do some insulating between copper and glass.

• Bob

Ive never heard or seen "Tiki" oil Can any other product do the same ?

• Lee

Bob, it is called "Tiki" oil because it is commonly used in "Tiki" torches. A Tiki torch is a bamboo torch originating in Tiki culture It is basically a paraffin based lamp oil. Here is some info i got off the internet. While lamp oil is generally inexpensive, there are ways to save even more by using oil that you already have in your kitchen. Mother Earth News suggests making your own lamp from a wide-mouthed glass jar and fueling it with olive oil, which is an odorless, smokeless renewable fuel. An even cheaper alternative is to find lampante oil, a type of olive oil bottled only for burning rather than for consumption. Citronella is an oil obtained from a southern asian grass, commonly used to repel insects, or add aroma to such things as soap. I am not sure what you have available in Bulgaria, but you could experiment with any local lamp oils you may have.

• Bob

Olive oil !!!! can get that practically free here ta !!!

• Shar

Walmart here in Hawaii carry Tiki Citronella oil - good for burning and keeping mosquitos away all year around but maybe a seasonal thing in other parts of the country?

• Melody McLaughlin

Citronella oil is available at most hardware stores or as stated above Walmart carries it. It is meant to keep the mosquitos away. Any lamp oil will work if you are not concerned about mosquitos

• Bobbi Ayers Bare

I seriously do not like the smell of citronella is there another fragrance that will make mosquitoes stay away?

• A.B. Myers

Lavender is supposed to repel mosquitos.

• Pat Packard

Good old Walmart: $8.00 for about a quart and says tiki torch fuel right on it.

• Linda T

@1 result is available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate.If you go anywhere in Greece, or other Mediterranean countries, you will see almost every house is LOADED with geraniums, inside and outside windows (most of Europe doesn't use screens) I have been told that they are a great insect repellent, so they are loved for that, as well as their glorious colours. Mind you I had one a while back, called 'Chocolate', and not only was it brownish, but it smelled of chocolate too. I wondered if that attracted any pests.

• Linda

Where do you buy wick

• Your Momma

What purpose do the marbles serve?

• Lee Govan

They add stability to the bottle as well as the terracotta saucer

• Martha Bliss

Small pebbles are free

• To add stability and character. Unfortunately the lighting in the finished photo was not good but when the sun hits the bottle, I love the fact that you can see the marbles inside. You could also do a clear bottle with colorful marbles as well.

• Terry

Plus it hides the wick somewhat...mostly for looks and stability.

• Evil

No uses less gas!!! You make a few of these and you'll buy 4-5 jugs of gas... Full with marbles you Match your decor band use less gas.

• Jeannie

Great idea,I suppose if u live near the beach and have a supply of sea glass, that would b nice, too.

• Joan Reyes

My wicks are slipping down into the bottle, how do I prevent that?

• Des5857573

Is there a place online to buy the wicks

• MTFancy

What is it you squeeze to keep the wick from falling down the bottle..I don't see that anywhere? Thanks

• She6272890

Squeeze the copper coupler

• Yes, @shearsnip is correct. My wick also fell after the first time I used it so i had to go back a squeeze the copper coupler just enough to hold the wick.

• Evil

Get a bigger wick. Or smaller cuppling. I use 1/2 in sockets because I like chrome better. I have no problem

• Alice Mikel

I use washers. Bottom one is large to cover bottle opening the next is smaller to fit the wick tight. And absorbs any heat.

• Crystal Thomas

Alice, How do you attach the washers to the wick? This sounds safer then just a wick in a coupler.
  • Evil

I used mini bottles. For a rum bottle in each table.

, I ve made them before out of ningxia bottles but doing my back yard tiki style Kraken Rum bottles were perfect This is the MINI BOTTLE I used clear Krylon paint to make sure the label stayed looking nice, Going for the biggin next
  • Naturecmt Chaser

Great idea! Does the SOS pad scratch the glass tho?

• Tedi

so u dont use any special fuel to ward off mosquitos, so really you are attracting them with this idea?

• Actually, I used citronella tiki torch fuel which is supposed to ward of mosquitoes and other bugs. Thanks for your question, Tedi!

• RN

The second picture down, reads Tiki Torch citronella scented Torch Fuel.

• Mark Pohl

What is the purpose of the marbles?

• Betty

how long do you make the wick?

• Ibi2578530

What is tiki torch fuel???

• You can find it at Home Depot, probably WalMart and other chain stores like them. It's the liquid you put in tiki torches that allows them to burn continuously.

• Elisa Hillman

Most are citronella scented to repel mosquitoes. As a West Nile survivor, we always have on hand for camping or warm summer nights on the back porch to keep mosquitoes away.

• Carla Cooper

Did you fill the bottle to the top with the marbles?

• Amber Lynn Erickson

The copper fitting getting hot doesn't melt the Teflon tape?

• Trina De Zeeuw

What was the starfish for?
  • Susan Isenbarger Jones

Is there any danger of the bottle shattering from the heat of the burning fuel?
    • Dan Hatfield

Since the fuel itself doesn't burn, but rather the fumes fumes that come off the wick ABOVE the bottle, there is no danger of any shattering.
    • As with anything involving flames, I would use caution but I agree with Dan.
    • Carol Bradner

I purchased some cheap glass torches once, and the heat cracked the container. Fun mess to have tiki fuel everywhere. This just looks like a bad idea.
  • Crystal Thomas

What do you use to repel the mosquitoes and bugs? Does regular tiki fuel do this?
  • Becky Wine Opiela

I made one, but the flame blows out so easily. Any suggestions?
  • Ardale

Where did you get your wick? Great idea can hardly wait to make one or two of these. Thanks for sharing.
  • Mary Ann Jackson

Is it safe, the wine bottle doesn't get real hot does it? I want to make these but afraid they might break the bottle
  • Jason New Orleans

Why the marbles? Is that to make up the space between the bottom of the bottle and the bottom of the wick?

• Annemiek Do Gersten

To make it more stable and weight it. It is less likely to tip over on a breezy night.

• Sandy

Keeps it from tipping over on a windy day!!

• Jeanette

How full do you put the marbles

• R

How much wine should I drink while doing this to get the most fun out of the project?