Jeanie C
Jeanie C
  • Greenville, AL
Asked on Jun 23, 2013

Growing trees

Jeanie CDouglas Hunt

Needing advice on growing a lemon tree in South Central Alabama. I read to take a lemon seed, pop in mouth and suck off the sheathing, plant in moist potting soil, cover with saran wrap. The seed has already sprouted and is growing. Never had a lemon tree before. I really want this baby to produce fruit. How long does a tree have to mature before producing fruit. Thank you for any advice you are will to share.

Your seed may well grow into a tree that produces fruit, Jeanie, but it's a process that can, according to the University of Florida, take eight to 15 years, and it can take several years after a citrus tree starts producing fruit for that fruit to be of good flavor. You'll have a much shorter wait if you try growing a Key lime from a seed. You'll find interesting reading on the subject here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/HS/HS11600.pdf

• Jeanie C

Thank you Douglas. I need all the help I can get. Will take time to read the article. Thank you again and have a delicious day.