Debra K.
Debra K.
  • Dillonvale, OH
Asked on Jun 23, 2013

Earwigs and Beetles

Denise Hacker WoodySylvia Smothers LawingBetty Brady
+7

I have one heck of a time with earwigs getting in my plant pots and around the patio behind things, ect. Also I have some kind of little beetle with white stripes on its back on a lot of my plants. I've used neem, didn't do so well....lately sprayed twice with liquid sevin...maybe a little improvement......I try to stay organic.....I put ALOT of time into my flowers(AND money) it makes me sick to see them all chewed up.....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of my favorite combinations this yr.
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

beautiful combination.( I love Hypoestes) You may have thrips as well btw....The sevin will eventually win out, just need to be persistent. You could also try some food grade diatomaceous earth around the base.

• Judy

Oh how pretty!

• Betty Brady

I too am organic and have a terrible problem with earwigs and ants. I live in a desert area of Washington state and have never seen so many earwigs. I know ants are a real problem here and have found an organic, non-toxic solution called Eco-Smart at Home Depot. Kills on contact and smells wonderful. As of yet, no real control of earwigs.

• Bev

You can use Diatomaceous earth. It is a naturally occurring mineral that irritates the exoskeleton of ants, worms, earwigs. It scrapes them. It is not harmful to cats or dogs.

• Lorna Paisley

I put beer out to catch slugs and earwigs drown in it as well.

• Glh

I've been using ground up egg shells around the base of my plants .. so far things look good. The shells work like the Diatomaceous earth, it's supposed to scrape them up.

• Betty Brady

Diatomaceous earth, duh! I knew that. Don't know why I did not think of it. Senior moment, I guess :0)

• Sylvia Smothers Lawing

Great news. The earwigs are a problem. I'll try Diatomaceous earth.

• Denise Hacker Woody

Another helpful Eco-balanced organic solution: Make a mixture of: water, epsom salts, baking soda, one drop of neem oil, one drop of organic liquid soap, and cayenne pepper. Do not use more than one drop of neem in the mixture because neem oil in higher concentrations will burn plants in hot summer temps above 70 degrees F. Too much soap will suffocate the plants. This mixture deters "critters" as well. www.facebook.com/dpvbw http://2dpeacefulvalleyboutique9.blogspot.com Denise Woody