Deborah Stone
Deborah Stone
  • Sanford, NC
Asked on Jun 23, 2013

Drying Hydrangeas

Annie DohertyDeborah StoneDouglas Hunt
+1

My hydrangeas are beautiful this year! I would love to dry some for my daughter's wedding. Would love to hear how any of you have done this. I have also seen where after drying you can spray paint and dip into ritz dye, anybody tried this?
  • Shari

Lucky you!! I think hydrangeas are beautiful but unfortunately, I don't think they grow as far south as I live. I just picked up a "bouquet" of hydrangeas at the grocery store on Friday for $4.00 with the intent of drying them. I came home and searched the internet for drying techniques. The most common and easiest way I saw said to simply put them in a vase of water and don't refill the water. Supposedly, as the water dries up, so do the hydrangeas. I also read this seems to be the best way to retain their original color, as well. We'll see...

I have dried many a hydrangea using exactly the technique Shari describes, which is simply to let the water in the vase dry up.

• Deborah Stone

Thanks Shari and Douglas, will be giving this a try very soon

• Annie Doherty

Following all the wonderful advice I have used this in water, however have also had success by putting g them in silver sand, pouring it into a small box putting hydrangea into it and pouring the sand all over to cover and leaving them in a dark place. It's a bit more work, however, this method preserved the beautiful blues and soft creams, whereby the water method I found, the colours faded a lot, still beautiful, just depends on the look you would like. As for painting once totally dried, I have spay painted them very successfully. Good luck with your project,it would be great to hear how you you got on.