Wine Barrel Coffee Table

$50
1 Day

I saw this 1/2 wine barrel at a local nursery and I knew I had to turn it into a wine barrel coffee table. Sadly, I didn’t realize how bad the condition was prior to paying almost 100.00 for it.
I immediately knew I had to make it into a wine barrel coffee table. I was envisioning this amazing farmhouse piece and while we were making it I just kept thinking “Is this actually going to turn out?“
wine barrel coffee table, diy, home decor, how to, painted furniture, rustic furniture
Here’s the lovely 1/2 wine barrel after I gave it a GOOD sand down. I’m sure it could of been made into a coffee table just like that – the color is so pretty, but I was envisioning this white-washed piece. So I got to pickling the wine barrel. You want to make sure you wipe the pickling off as you go. It dries within minutes! I also distressed the pickled base after I was done to give it a more lived in feel.
diy top for wine barrel coffee table
As for the top – we made it out of 1×6’s. We put four pocket holes in every 1×6, and then once all 32 screws were in, we put bracing on to make it extra strong.
Here’s how it looked after a good sand & us cutting it into a circle.
When cutting the top for the wine barrel base we made it very imperfect, so the top would look more authentic. So it isn’t perfectly round. I also took chain and beat up the top. This was my design in my head. Glens always loves my ideas. Sometimes they look amazing and sometimes they look very very bad. Rarely is there a in-between.
shop list
5 1x6x8
32 1 1/4 Screws
Silicone
tools
Jigsaw
Drill
Driver
Orbital Sander
Table Saw
Chain
We clamped all the wood together, drilled all the pocket holes, screwed the boards together & then cut the circular top with our jigsaw. Super straight forward. I would of taken photos for you, but we did this at 10 PM saturday night.
Here's how it turned out, I couldn't be more happy with it!
For a TON more awesome DIY's be sure to subscribe to our blog!

Jessica-Sara Morris

• 62q10370829

Why didn't you put open end up to use for storage & you could of put on small feet to keep medal off carpet.
    • Lynn, Nashville

Thats what I was thinking...we have a Jack Daniels wet bar in the room..want a similar coffee table but our half cut barrels go the other way, so too big..this would be perfect

• Edyta

Very cool, love it! The table looks great! Where did you get those beautiful flowers? Are they real?

• Dennis

Where can I buy a half barrel?

• Sandra Ruch

Great job!!!

• Tracy Owsley Bell

Great use of a wine barrel, I had a full sized barrel for storage made in Italy and store/display all my military challenge coins, rank insignia, ribbons etc, under a glass top.