Louise
Louise
Asked on Jun 23, 2013

This grows all over the place in my neighborhood. I thought it was a

LouiseKatie PriceGretchen
+13

weed, but maybe it's not. People let it grow to tree size.
this grows all over the place in my neighborhood i thought it was a, gardening
  • Anne gaddis

i have a ton of this and it will grow p trees and suck the life out of them. what i have is very hard to kill and very invasive. sure looks like the same thing, dont know a name.

• Cyndi

looks like it might be Kudzu, if it is it will choke out everything in its path if you let it

• Gloria Wilson

If it's Kudzu, then I read that it is an edible weed.. We don't see Kudzu much here in Idaho.. Perhaps it's here and I've just never seen it though.

• Wanda sinnema

it looks an ivy ,,there are hundreds of varieties.. ALL INVASIVE.. They will choke out almost everything other than morning glory and st. John wort.....have seen it kill 40 ft trees here....

• Louise

I'm nearly certain it's not kudzu.

• Louise

I asked a master gardener friend and she said the common name is princess tree, also known as royal paulownia or empress tree. Scientific name is paulownia tomentosa. It's a showy, aggressive ornamental introduced from East Asia.

• Su

yep not kudzu

• Katie Price

Could it be the native redbud tree? They have heart-shaped leaves, and the stems have a slight zig-zag to them. They get tiny purpleish pink flowers on the stems before the leaves emerge in the spring.

• Louise

It's royal paulownia or empress tree. Scientific name is paulownia tomentosa.

• Nancy Hand

Katie Price I thought the same thing. Redbud! and they will spread everywhere!

• Yvonne B

Looks like RedBud to me. We have them in our yard.

• Louise

Do you mean this redbud? If so, no, this plant isn't a redbud. It has no flowers at any time. It doesn't grow in this shape. The plant in my neighborhood isn't ornamental. It's an invasive very large weed-like thing that grows in a very uncontrolled manner. The bark is very smooth.

• Louise

BUT, I just looked online at the paulownia that my friend said it is, and photos online show it has flowers. This plant doesn't. It does have long pods, tho, that resemble some kind of bean.

• Gretchen

It's an interesting one. If this grows all over your neighborhood/town, then I suggest you take it to your Extension office. They will know all the local pests and plants - and how to control it!

• Katie Price

Redbuds do produce bean-like pods in the fall. They flower very early in the spring, usually before anything else. I have one in my landscape and pull up seedlings all the time. Pawlonia trees are very invasive and junky. If that is what you have, get rid of it quickly!

• Louise

It IS very invasive and junky. Fortunately, I have none in my yard but they're in plenty of other yards and the people who live there let them grow to be trees. They hang over the street, grow by mailboxes, etc. We have a lot of people in the neighborhood who just don't think whether something looks decent or not. :-( I think I'll take more photos and include the pods and email them to the county extension guy.