Bonnie
Bonnie
  • Lockport, NY
Asked on Jun 23, 2013

Garage Converted Into Pool House

Rhonda MillerKMS WoodworksBonnie
+6

Im interested in surprising my husband while he is on a fishing trip and I want to open up the side of the garage to use as a pool house. Im not sure what to use to close it up, maybe some french doors? will this be difficult?
I have to keep this window in the corner of garage is pool filter
freezers and tool bench would be moved to other wall
pool pipes under window cant be moved
pool pipes under window cant be moved
  • Miriam I

That's such a fun idea! The location looks perfect for a pool house. Just offering my support and encouragement. Hope you get some great advice on this one!

• Bonnie

thanks! as u see I dont have much patio room between pool and garage but it may work

• Ronny

Check out glass garage doors to open up this space to the pool. Take a look at my site for some Ideas and Inspirations. http://bradforddoor.com

q garage converted into pool house, doors, garages, home improvement
  • Karen Young

what do you plan to use your pool house for? Changing clothes, entertaining, pool storage? Looks like the siding needs to be replaced or repaired before doing anything. You may have more damage there than you thought. If you are planning to leave your stuff in the garage, I wouldn't put in French doors due to seeing all the garage storage stuff while you are in the back yard. Possibly put in a wall to put all your garage storage in the front of the garage that you would have access by raising the garage door (basically a little room maybe 6 feet deep) then put an access on the side depending on what your intent is for your pool house.

• KMS Woodworks

You could put a french door set in there or a slider set. Installing an exterior door set, along with the required framing ( new header in that load bearing wall) is on the upper end of the DIY scale..I would put it at a 8 to 9 level. Another possibility would be to put in a more normal sized door to gain access to a changing room installed inside. The saved space could then be converted to pass through bar type area. This could be secured for off season with an overhead door.

• Gail Salminen

@Bonnie looks like an ambitious project, is your hubby on a long fishing trip LOL You could do something like a sliding barn door, would be cool if it had windows. A cobble stone area between the garage and the pool decking. A few tropicals will also set a water mood. Please update us with your progress :)

• Bonnie

Im planning on doing this instead, just a counter bar and small opening into garage!

q garage converted into pool house, doors, garages, home improvement, Im actually going to do this now instead opening the whole wall was too scary and I actually like this alot better Im going to try to make an awning for over window area ill show u all the finished project in august
  • KMS Woodworks

@Bonnie be sure to address the potential for water infiltration from rain / roof run off. A bar type area that extends in to the "drip line" of the roofs eave will allow water to collect and can lead back to the wall or interior. This can be addressed with a bit of slope and the installation of gutter or a portico.

• Rhonda Miller

French doors and u can spray the glass with the frost glass spray paint to keep privacy from seeing what is inside. I can find French doors and sliders on Craigslist and or habitat for humanity stores for cheap. U will need a header because I am sure that is load baring wall.