Grillo Designs Members Projects
Grillo Designs Members Projects
  • United Kingdom

A Chalk Painting Tutorial - With Tips and Tricks by Lara Roberts

Chalk painting can be a little tricky sometimes - especially when it comes down to the waxing! Lara Roberts from Roberts Vintage Frames explains it all perfectly! *Please note this tutorial was submitted to the Grillo Designs blog by Lara Roberts*
a chalk painting tutorial with tips and tricks by lara roberts, chalk paint, diy, how to, painted furniture
MATERIALS USED:
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey, French Linen and Old White, round head brushes, round head waxing brush, baby wipes, Annie Sloan's clear wax, Annie Sloan's dark wax, sponge, microfibre cloth
HOW TO:
First, remove the canvas from the frame (if there is one) and rest it on two scraps of wood on a table top.
Paint in your choice of colour. I went for a grey to compliment the mustard yellow wall it's going to hang from. I'm using Annie Sloan's Paris Grey applied with a round head brush. I recommend using a quality round head because you can really use them to stab at the detail to ensure full coverage.
Next, I dry brushed in French Linen. Dry brushing is when you lightly brush over the piece with very little paint on your brush. You dip your brush then vigorously brushed off most the paint on a piece of scrap.
Lightly brush over the whole frame which will really pick up on that texture and the detail of the frame. I also dry brushed in Old White to really make the detail stand out and create a more layered paint effect. Here's where you should be so far.
Next you distress. Visit the blog post by clicking here to find out the special material used to distress !
Now you wax. I apply wax using a sponge rather than a rag. It's much easier to work with. You only want a little on your sponge. Just rub the wax over the paint, pushing as you go.
Next comes the dark wax. Dark wax looks daunting but the more you use it the more you understand how it works. Using a waxing brush, apply dark wax to every inch of the frame.
Here you can see the difference dark wax makes. Expect to go through a lot of sponges to lift of the dark wax!
You can see this tutorial IN FULL DETAIL at the link below. You can also join our DIY facebook group by heading to the blog and clicking the 'JOIN THE GROUPS' in the blog menu.
Grillo Designs Members Projects