Magazine Holders as Shelves

New shelves with a dual purpose!
This area between my kitchen door and the brick wall(the backside of the fireplace in the kitchen) has never had a "purpose" and all the white annoys me... It has needed a pop of colour, but since I can't screw any brackets or anything here, it just had to stay that way... for 10 years... until now!!! I bought these wooden magazine holders at IKEA:
I picked a turquoise acryllic paint to paint the insides:
I then took white acryllic paint, and added a small amount of the turquoise to make a lighter colour for the outsides of the magazine holders:
It took quite afew coats of paint to cover the outsides, since I had spilled a bit of the dark colour, and the lighter paint didn't easily cover it, so I recomend using painters tape on the edges if you paint something dark first...
But in the end, the final result was just what I wanted!
And now comes the revealing of the entire reason for this project: I could easily screm them into the wooden frame of the door, and still have level shelves that can hold stuff and give that little pop of colour this space needed!!! I will probably cover the screws with paint later on, but for now, I'm just happy with them the way they are, they truly made my day!!!
I just had to make this little cat to fit the colour scheme, it used to be white with blue pattern on it when I adopted it at the thrift store, but a few coats of paint, and gluing som small beadsand pearls on it, it is now just a happy feline that makes me smile every time I pass it... ;-)
I just love my new happy corner:

• Jes8512108

what size wood did you use. what did you use for a pattern. how did you fasten the wood

• Terri

She’s asking how she fastened the shelves to the wall

• Samantha

Where can I find the cat sculpture? I have everything except the cat, and I need guidance where I can find something like the one in the picture. I feel like I've looked everywhere with this picture in hand! Please help me.

• Sandra K Salisbury

Lynn, your idea is so original and your paint colors are perfect!! I do have one question, and I'm a little hesitant to ask, for fear of receiving some rude and sarcastic comments from other readers. I do see the two screws on the left inside the shelf, but I don't see any screws on the right-hand side. What am I missing from your tutorial? This is one of the most original and doable ideas I have seen on Hometalk!! I definitely plan to put some of these in my sewing/craft room, which unfortunately, is still in its planning stage! Thank you for sharing such a great idea and the clear and entertaining tutorial!! I want very much to see your other clever and practical creations!! Oh, while I love the cat, my mom would have been totally over the moon about it!! I'm sure I must have inherited my "COD" from her! Before all is said and done, bless her heart, she would have glued gems on all of her ceramic cockatiels, chickens and cats!! 😍

• Kimmyk

Maybe some removable heavy duty double sided tape or adhesive on the chimney side?

I've seen similar ideas before but always using cardboard racks. I didn't realize they were available in wood!! With the hole on the side an electric light or tart burner could also be added.

• Patricia Howard

I love this project, and was going to do it myself, but I can not find these wooden magazine holders anywhere.
    • Aaf19238980

Try Michaels or A.C. Moore craft store. I've also seen nice ones in Marshalls.

• Stelmour450

Very pretty