Marble Countertop Hack: How to Tile Over Laminate Countertop

I've always had big dreams of walking into this massive kitchen, the size of my living room, with these gorgeous carrara marble countertops. Marble countertops are about as classic and luxurious as it gets in my eyes. Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery yet so I had to improvise and work withing my budget and my space. Here is how I transformed the old dated and dingy laminate countertops in my kitchen to marble countertops.

The kitchen when I first bought the home.

Attched a waterproofing membrane by Schluter called Ditra Membrane to the laminate counter.

Dry fit the 12x12 marble prior to tiling the counters.

Created a undermount sink look by using Schluter Rondec Sink Corners and tile edging trim. This also eliminated the need to undo and redo plumbing. Needless to say I was very happy about that. :)

Completed undermount sink.

Now the counters I've always dreamed of having at a fraction of a cost.

ToolBox Divas

• Ro

Why do I see a shiny sheet? 4 inches in from the edge of the marble tile? What is that?

• Becky

Would that work over very ugly & dated tile counters ??

• Jude

Hi Becky,

I didn’t post this project but I also used 12 x 12 tiles, mine are granite.

We had small 4 x 4 tiles (which I had grown to dislike) and had to remove them all before we installed the new larger granite tiles. The wood surface underneath has to be completely smooth in order to set the new tiles.

I made sure to keep the grout lines thin (small spacers) to create a smooth look of a solid surface. I also used a metallic grout I found at Menard”s which I feel really blended well. Good luck!

• Mildred Ellen Henry

How did you deal with the front edge?

They look great! 🙂

• Joanie

Beautiful, beautiful and than more beautiful! One of my favorite colors!! Your counter tops look really nice and I am happy for you....

• Becky

Love it !! Great job & color choices 👍