Marble Countertop Hack: How to Tile Over Laminate Countertop

I've always had big dreams of walking into this massive kitchen, the size of my living room, with these gorgeous carrara marble countertops. Marble countertops are about as classic and luxurious as it gets in my eyes. Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery yet so I had to improvise and work withing my budget and my space. Here is how I transformed the old dated and dingy laminate countertops in my kitchen to marble countertops.

The kitchen when I first bought the home.

Attched a waterproofing membrane by Schluter called Ditra Membrane to the laminate counter.

Dry fit the 12x12 marble prior to tiling the counters.

Created a undermount sink look by using Schluter Rondec Sink Corners and tile edging trim. This also eliminated the need to undo and redo plumbing. Needless to say I was very happy about that. :)

Completed undermount sink.

Now the counters I've always dreamed of having at a fraction of a cost.

15 Memorial Day Crafts
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
ToolBox Divas

• Cindy
    Cindy

I dont have a question but wanted to congratulate you on taking on such a project...I have a 1960's formica counter with metal edges..I cannot afford to get new cabinets or countertops..so far I have added trim to my cabinets and painted them..I love your ideas and colors...thank you for sharing and getting me pumped to try it...

• Charise.
    Charise.

YOOOOOO!! Your countertops are AMAZING!!!!!

I am LITERALLY in this place! I have the same exact kitchen countertops and I am in absolute LOVE with Carrara marble. ….I'd put it all my home, if I could. LOL! All of the spray painting, hand painting, decoupaging and cementing tutorials looked kind of crappy and obviously DIY to me. So, 3 months ago, I purchased a wet saw; it's still in the box. Meanwhile, I've been eyeing some reasonably priced high gloss, Carrara marble-like tile (…well, it's not real marble, which is would require too much maintenance, given its porosity) and you've just inspired me to go for it! I cannot thank you enough for sharing this.

...and, the undermount sink fake out- GENIOUS!

Job well done, sis!