Marble Countertop Hack: How to Tile Over Laminate Countertop

I've always had big dreams of walking into this massive kitchen, the size of my living room, with these gorgeous carrara marble countertops. Marble countertops are about as classic and luxurious as it gets in my eyes. Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery yet so I had to improvise and work withing my budget and my space. Here is how I transformed the old dated and dingy laminate countertops in my kitchen to marble countertops.

marble countertop hack how to tile over laminate countertop, countertops, how to, kitchen design, tiling

The kitchen when I first bought the home.

Attched a waterproofing membrane by Schluter called Ditra Membrane to the laminate counter.

Dry fit the 12x12 marble prior to tiling the counters.

Created a undermount sink look by using Schluter Rondec Sink Corners and tile edging trim. This also eliminated the need to undo and redo plumbing. Needless to say I was very happy about that. :)

Completed undermount sink.

Now the counters I've always dreamed of having at a fraction of a cost.

ToolBox Divas

• Lenore

Did you have to use grout?

• Christy

I see grout lines in the pic. You should waterproof/seal the grout & tile from time to time especially since marble is a porous material.

• Ro

Why do I see a shiny sheet? 4 inches in from the edge of the marble tile? What is that?

• Becky

Would that work over very ugly & dated tile counters ??

• Joanie

Beautiful, beautiful and than more beautiful! One of my favorite colors!! Your counter tops look really nice and I am happy for you....

• Becky

Love it !! Great job & color choices 👍