Clay B
Clay B
  • Chesapeake, VA

Garden, Mulch Beds, Mulch Washing Away, Drainage Solution for Patio

We had a patio installed last year on the back of my house to replace the old deck, and connected it to my old patio around the pool. One thing the installer should have advised (he did build what I wanted), but he should have mentioned water run-off. when it rained hard, the mulch would wash out of the bed between the two patios. So I installed metal edging, added gravel. Two hard rains, and no mulch moved. The only water in the bed has to fall directly on it, so it is doing great. I like the metal edging, very easy to install, looks better than the vinyl rolls, I started with that, but ripped it out and returned it, as it looks so bad, plus it would not be strong enough to hold up the gravel/rocks. Plus a added photo of my front garden for others to get ideas, still need to work on the front garden to the right of the steps though, but it's getting there.
Before: the First Garden attemp. Mulch would wash away.
After: added metal edging and rocks to keep mulch from washing away.
After: another view
After: another view
After: another view again
After: another view again
view from other side of pool.
view from other side of pool.
Pic of front garden area, so far...
Pic of front garden area, so far...
garden mulch beds mulch washing away drainage solution for patio, decks, landscape, outdoor living, patio, pool designs
Past Summer pic
another past summer pic
and another past summer pic

• Renee

I went to Home Depot they had no clue, I found the plastic. But nothing metal. I even asked for facia flashing. No help. What's it called? It sounds like you used materials from gutters, am I correct?

• Clay B

The plants all grown up!

• Deanna

How deep did you make the hole for the stones? Did you put landscape fabric down before adding the stones? Thanks

• Clay B

Sorry for the very late reply. I simply installed the metal edging 5" from the patio edge. I used no landscape fabric. I actually never use landscape fabric, I think it's a waste of money, and doesn't work.