Sheila D
Sheila D
  • Crystal River, FL
Asked on Jun 24, 2013

Towel bar removal

Marion NesbittTrixie63BBB
+4

How do you remove ceramic towel bars from walls-is there a clip or mounting hardware behind it?
  • KMS Woodworks

Look for a recessed hole that has a set screw or allen head bolt. In many cases the decorative part is "hung" from a backer plate that is screwed to the wall.

• Stacy

Mine have the recessed hole on the bottom and have a small set screw. Once loosened the piece will come right off exposing a bracket which is screwed to the wall.

• Sheila D

The newer models have the recessed screws, not seeing anything on these. My guess is it's going to be chisel and HAMMER! That will relieve some of the stress that goes with moving, packing and unpacking....Thanks

• KMS Woodworks

A hammer is one way ....but it does not leave much for a re-install.

• BBB

Had the same issue. Used a hammer .....I had no visible way to remove the towel bar and then I replaced it with a new satin nickel one. Try not to damage the drywall.

• Trixie63

I bought a shelf and put it right on top of the towel bar which was tiled into the wall and so basically just hid it!

• Marion Nesbitt

If it isn't set into a tiled wall, there should be a screw you can remove as suggested above. Good luck.