Quick and Easy Tick Removal

Ticks are everywhere here in Tennessee, so much so that our Chickens can’t seem to keep up with them, though I’m sure they give it their best. So if you live around us or in an area where ticks are living, it pays to know an easy and safe way to remove them.
If you’re not already convinced, we have a friend who recently made a trip to the ER to find out that he is now allergic to the meat of mammals because of a tick bite.
On with the removal procedure.
The main idea with the process is that you want to end up with a living tick that still has its “mouth” in tact. If you rip off its “mouth” or kill the tick it will basically vomit inside you and any parasites or bacteria come with it. With a living tick, your chances of that are much less.
Step 1 – Locate Tick
A simple visual inspection at the end of the day.
Step 2 – Take some dental floss and make a loose knot. Lay the knot around the tick area and gently tighten the knot making sure it tightens right where the tick meets your body. Once it is in the right position, tighten it down.
Step 3 – Gently pull on the floss/knot. Generally the tick will release if you just apply constant pressure for a little while.
Step 4 – Once you have a live tick on a string, it’s best to put it in a plastic bag with the date of removal on it. Put that bag in the freezer to preserve the tick. This is in case your health turns and you need to get the tick tested for the various parasites or bacterias.
The tick in the photo is completely alive. Notice the knot tied around its “mouth” area.
Quick and Easy Tick Removal Process (all you need is dental floss and a steady hand.)
Step 1 – Locate Tick A simple visual inspection at the end of the day.
Step 4 – Once you have a live tick on a string, it’s best to put it in a plastic bag with the date of removal on it. Put that bag in the freezer to preserve the tick. This is in case your health turns and the tick needs tested.

Jeremy Dixon

• Sherilyn Lawson

i'm moving to an area with ticks and know nothing about them. thank you. i will be living alone, can this be done on one's self? with one hand, i mean? if i were to get a tick on my arm, i'd only have the other arm to work with

• Jan32065531

I saw a video just other day, a woman had a tick that was embedded in her arm she got peppermint oil and put about three drops right over the tick she waited about 30 seconds and put three more drops on the same area and in about 15 seconds you watched that tick back it's self right out. It was amazing, so I now have peppermint oil in my home, just in case. Maybe this would be the answer. Check the internet I believe it was on Facebook, maybe if you googled it Peppermint and Ticks it might come up. Best of luck.

• Sherilyn Lawson

Thank you. I keep peppermint oil around to put on cotton balls and toss under my house to keep mice and critters from going under there in the fall. I now will use it all year round 😊

• Jeanette

I just saw this article that warns against peppermint oil...

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19517679/peppermint-oil-for-tick-removal-dangers/

• Sherilyn Lawson

thank you for this article

• Frank Hartwick

just get a simple tick removel tool sold at most pet and farm stores i veen see them at wal mart they are very inexpensive work with one hand &remove the whole tick,i keep severl around the house have severl outside cats that always have them on them even with tick and flea colars on i went through the whole lyme rx with iv rx for lyme dease was not fun

• Michele

You never want to put anything on the tick or use a match. This will make the tick throw up its stomach contents into your blood stream!! Use a pair of tweezers and get as close to where the tick is attached to your body and slowly and gently pull it out. Keep it for several months. It is much much easier and more accurate to test a tick for Lyme than it is a person.