Suzanne C
Suzanne C
  • Merrick, NY

Does anybody know how to give a terra cotta flower pot a weathered look?

Gabrielle FalkTinaRicki forman
+11

• Pam

Do you want that mossy look? Let me know.

• Suzanne C

Hi Pam, Yes that's exactly the look I want!

• Suzanne C

Still waiting for the ideas.

• Pam

Soak your clay pots in water all night so that they aborb lots of water. Get an old blender and mix plain yogurt or buttermilk with some moss and blend. Take an old paintbrush and brush the concoction on your clay pots. especially along the bottom third of the post where the moss would normally grow more. Let nature do the rest. Spray water with a light misting bottle every day or so so keep the mixture damp. The moss will start to grow.

• Miriam I

Wow. Great tip, Pam! Have you done this?

• The Micro Gardener - Anne

I've just painted plain yoghurt on the base of a stone statue to give that green aged patina and it takes a little while but works fine. If you want moss specifically, it grows in an acidic environment so you need to create that first. Terracotta is porous so will absorb the yogurt and create the right growing environment. There's another recipe to give your pots this authentic look at http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf36735232.tip.html along with some other options to create an aged look. Would love to see a photo of the end result!

• Pam

Yes after I saw it on a gardening show some years ago. It works.

• Suzanne C

Great tips everyone! I'm going to try the stinky yogurt one first. I'll let everyone know how it works.

• Pam

Good luck. Should work on terra cotta, rocks, concrete and stones. Just remember to keep them in the shade and spritz with water to keep damp.

• Suzanne C

Will do.

• Pam

Let me know if this works for you. It takes a while but is so worth it.

• Ricki forman

Yogurt all over.

• Tina

I was always told to soak in buttermilk, then rub with moss, set in a shaded place and keep moist for 7-10 days.

• Gabrielle Falk

I've rubbed with plain yoghurt, on a damp pot, and kept in shade. If necessary reapply. Or use milk. If you want a distressed type of appearance, I've attacked a terracotta pot with either sandpaper (rubbing hard), or steel wool, or a wire brush. Depends on the look you want. Cheers, from Sydney Australia