Pamela F
Pamela F
  • Hinesville, GA
Asked on Jun 24, 2013

Is This A Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus)?

Jobi765Linda TPeggy Bryan
+6

As my twins and I were on our 2 mile walk yesterday, they plucked this beauty from between the bricks of a nearby business. It seem to escape the perimeters of their landscape which had many:-) I googled it and saw a similar picture and it was named: Madagascar Periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus)...am I correct? Thanks Hometalk community!
My plant 1
My plant 1
My plant 2
My plant 2
My plant 3
My plant 3
Google image. Looks the same to me...they called it Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus)
  • KrysFL

In Florida those are very popular but known as Vinca.

• Sharon

I think they are same specie:vinca major/vinca minor/and periwinkle... thinking dogbane family... pretty,whichever they are... i grow vinca minor as groundcover,about the only one will grow in my clay soil

• Pamela F

Thank you both. Its Vinca alright, the same as Madagascar periwinkle. I've learned so much from all of you here on Hometalk!

• Judy

Annual Vinca as opposed to the perennial which is usually purple, is viney & makes a great ground cover.

• Marjo Groen

vinca rosea

• Jay

yes,vinca or periwinkle!

• Peggy Bryan

@JudyThe perennial Vinca can be very invasive , so plant it only where it has good boundaries. I had it take over my flower bed of perrenials and almost killed a lot of them. I had to hand pull it out for hours.

• Linda T

Since I despise my grass for it's greed and that my man has to pollute the air for 2-3 hours a week, so am very pleased that my purple vinca spreads by itself! I have mini strawberries too, but they get mowed!

• Jobi765

It's vinca