Marbled Dinner Napkins

$13

Dress up some plain white dinner napkins with a fun marbled effect. We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
MATERIALS: -Acrylic Paints -Fabric Medium -White Cotton Dinner Napkins -Shaving Cream -A mixing tool (a fork, a pencil, etc.) -A plastic ruler or some form of scraping tool and fabric medium *Cost includes a 12 pack of napkins! All can be found on Amazon.
STEP 1: Turn your regular paints into acrylic paints Grab a Styrofoam plate or a tray of sorts and mix each of your acrylic paint colors (separately) with the fabric medium. This allows the acrylic paint to become fabric ready. If you have fabric paints, you can just use those. But I have a bigger collection of acrylic paints, so this allows me to use all of those colors for this project. There are normally mixing instructions on the back of the medium bottle instructing you in regards to ratios.
STEP 2: Spray shaving cream on your tray Grab an old cookie sheet or an aluminum tray and spray the shaving cream along the bottom.
STEP 3: Spread the shaving cream into an even layer. You want to make sure you spread it all over.
STEP 4: Drip splotches of your paints onto the layer of shaving cream. I chose these three colors and dipped them randomly. You can choose a different color scheme, if you like.
STEP 5: Take a mixing tool and swirl the paint drops into a marble looking pattern. This is the best part of this project. I love swirling the colors together!
STEP 6: Place your napkin on the tray Take one of your dinner napkins and carefully place it face down on top of the shaving cream and paint mixture. These dinner napkins that I bought on Amazon were perfect for this project.
STEP 7: Scrape off the shaving cream Remove the napkin from the shaving cream tray. Using your plastic ruler or scraping tool carefully scrape the shaving cream off of the towel onto a trash bag or a piece of newspaper. Be sure to wipe the scraping tool clean before repeating this step.
STEP 8: Let it dry and set Allow the napkin to dry and then use a heat setting method of your choice. I simply put my napkins in a dryer for 40 minutes at a medium-high heat. You can also place a sheet of paper on top of your fabric and use an iron on a dry setting. *To make another napkin you should repeat the process rather than reusing the painted shaving cream leftovers.
These are so unique and pretty! I love using them to set my table.

• D

Do you just wash them in cold water in washer then?

• J Renee La

I let them dry and then rinse the shaving cream completely off by hand the first time and then I put them in the dryer no problem and then the next time I just normally wash them like I would anything I eat according to the tags of whatever I applied them on sometimes I put them on napkins this way sometimes I've done t-shirts this way sometimes I've done towels this way

• Ramona Edlow

How do you get the finished napkins folded that way?

• J Renee La

There are plenty of napkin folding tutorials on YouTube. You have only to search napkin folding tutorials

• Posie

Do you prewash the napkins first?

• C

I have to try this. I have a number of linen napkins that are slightly stained. What a great way to hide any stains! Thanks so much for sharing.

• Corvina

Linen is soooo amazing to work with!

May I suggest a hot water wash with no detergents and cup of baking soda per load size and ONE squirt of lemon total.

The lemon is purely for smell. I leave it out.

For high efficiency washers a.k.a. HE washers, only one cup sodium bicarbonate is needed per two load sizes and add directly to the clothes washer. NOT the dispensers.

• Corvina

Amanda!!!

Every time I click a project I am interested in, I say to myself while it's loading (on my old slow phone), "It's going to be Amanda from Brooklyn."

And it ALWAYS IS! =) =) =) =) =)

For me, your projects are something approachable, fun, and something I can do with my mother who is a full time artist. I am not.

She is going to LOVE this.

THANK YOU FOR ANOTHER HIT!!

• Corvina

Talked about this to my mother today. She said, and I quote, "Well let's get started!"as she raced around through her studio and out to her house...