Marbled Dinner Napkins

$13

Dress up some plain white dinner napkins with a fun marbled effect. We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
MATERIALS: -Acrylic Paints -Fabric Medium -White Cotton Dinner Napkins -Shaving Cream -A mixing tool (a fork, a pencil, etc.) -A plastic ruler or some form of scraping tool and fabric medium *Cost includes a 12 pack of napkins! All can be found on Amazon.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
STEP 1: Turn your regular paints into acrylic paints Grab a Styrofoam plate or a tray of sorts and mix each of your acrylic paint colors (separately) with the fabric medium. This allows the acrylic paint to become fabric ready. If you have fabric paints, you can just use those. But I have a bigger collection of acrylic paints, so this allows me to use all of those colors for this project. There are normally mixing instructions on the back of the medium bottle instructing you in regards to ratios.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
STEP 2: Spray shaving cream on your tray Grab an old cookie sheet or an aluminum tray and spray the shaving cream along the bottom.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
STEP 3: Spread the shaving cream into an even layer. You want to make sure you spread it all over.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
STEP 4: Drip splotches of your paints onto the layer of shaving cream. I chose these three colors and dipped them randomly. You can choose a different color scheme, if you like.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
STEP 5: Take a mixing tool and swirl the paint drops into a marble looking pattern. This is the best part of this project. I love swirling the colors together!
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
STEP 6: Place your napkin on the tray Take one of your dinner napkins and carefully place it face down on top of the shaving cream and paint mixture. These dinner napkins that I bought on Amazon were perfect for this project.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
STEP 7: Scrape off the shaving cream Remove the napkin from the shaving cream tray. Using your plastic ruler or scraping tool carefully scrape the shaving cream off of the towel onto a trash bag or a piece of newspaper. Be sure to wipe the scraping tool clean before repeating this step.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
STEP 8: Let it dry and set Allow the napkin to dry and then use a heat setting method of your choice. I simply put my napkins in a dryer for 40 minutes at a medium-high heat. You can also place a sheet of paper on top of your fabric and use an iron on a dry setting. *To make another napkin you should repeat the process rather than reusing the painted shaving cream leftovers.
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
marbled dinner napkins, crafts, how to
These are so unique and pretty! I love using them to set my table.

• D

Do you just wash them in cold water in washer then?

• J Renee La

I let them dry and then rinse the shaving cream completely off by hand the first time and then I put them in the dryer no problem and then the next time I just normally wash them like I would anything I eat according to the tags of whatever I applied them on sometimes I put them on napkins this way sometimes I've done t-shirts this way sometimes I've done towels this way

• Ramona Edlow

How do you get the finished napkins folded that way?

• J Renee La

There are plenty of napkin folding tutorials on YouTube. You have only to search napkin folding tutorials

• Posie

Do you prewash the napkins first?

• Sharon

Looks great! Love using cloth napkins for entertaining.

• C

I have to try this. I have a number of linen napkins that are slightly stained. What a great way to hide any stains! Thanks so much for sharing.

• J Renee La

you could always try one at first and check out the effect if you don't like it then don't continue on with the rest. One of the ways that help me match similar colors and patterns is to take a picture of the cookie sheet with the paint on it before I lay my napkin down