Angie
Angie
  • Houston, TX
Asked on Jun 24, 2013

Bought an antique dresser this weekend. Trying to figure out what chalk paint color to use. Any suggestions?

Lisa CuddyTracieRachelle Morris
+32

Http://pintorella.com

****UPDATE**** She painted dresser. I just added a picture :)
Antique Dresser - in process of painting
Finished painted dresser :)  Used Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in French Enamel
Finished painted dresser :) Used Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in French Enamel
  • Kim C

Great find, I think the color depends on where you're going to put it and what else is in there, AS Old White is one of my favorites.

• Angie

I'm going to have to order some AS Old White!

• White Oak Studio Designs

You are going to have fun! I suggest leaving parts of your dresser stained and painting parts for a great look. This is my favorite look right now. Sometimes I leave the top stained, sometimes the frame and sometimes the drawers depending on the look I am going for. Feel free to view my hand-painted furniture at http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com or donna.allgaierlamberti@facebook for more visuals.

q bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, Empire style four drawer dresser in Tiger Oak painted in CeCe Caldwells Michigan Pine chalk paint by decorative artist Donna Allgaier Lamberti Completed using a hand rubbed finish of Annie Sloan s clear soft waxq bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, Lightly distressed paint on the drawers with simple waxed original wooden drawer pullsq bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, This dresser adds a lot of extra storage for linens candles and table wear in my dining room at the Ranch style Small House located in South Western Michiganq bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, A side view of my transformed dresser with a table runner on top I just love a dresser that is a mix of hand painted surface and varnished wood
  • Cynthia

Can wait to see it when it's done.

• Elaine Simmons

I put in a bid on a buffet exactly like the one pictured above but didn't get it. But I have my eye on a dresser that I think I will try. That is beautiful, Donna.

• Angie

hi Donna yes was thinking of doing a two tone this time!

• White Oak Studio Designs

Elaine, Thank you for your compliment. The Empire style dressers have been very popular of late. not sure why, but I think Miss Mustard Seeds has help to popularize them - that and the fact they have such deep and roomy drawers helps a lot too!

• Shabby Paints

So Serene Green would be yummy :) Maybe accent with Vanilla Bear.

q bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, So Serene
  • Accentuations!

maybe you could let us know where you are putting the dresser or more about that room? I like the white with a bit of duck egg blue...3 parts white/1part blue......it looks so soft and welcoming!

• You don't have to order any, make your own! 2 parts latex paint to one part plaster of paris. Dissolve the PP in a separate cup with hot water, stir until creamy, add and stir to the other container with your paint. Add water if it's too thick. Works perfectly. This way you can choose your exact color. For that dresser all you need is a little sample pot ($2.50). the PP is $5 (You can do a ton of other colors with it). If you need any help, lemme know!! I just finished the buffet using my own paint mixtures. Beth at "Makemeprettyagain.blogspot.com

q bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture
  • Elaine Simmons

Beth is right, there are several recipes on the net you can use. Two others that I know of are sodium carbonate in powder form and unsanded grout. People that have reviewed and tried all three say they like the Anne Sloane paint the best and the sodium carbonate recipe next but when you are trying it out for the first time, might be best to go with a recipe to see if you like it to save some bucks. CeCe Caldwell paint is another chalk paint and somewhat cheaper than Anne Sloane paint. Beth that dresser is gorgeous!

• The Blue Heron Studio

You might want to try some of the new "metallic" paint couture colors and glazes. Visit www.theblueheronstudio.com to see more! For a rustic, chippy look, Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paints would be nice!

• The Blue Heron Studio

Some different effects with Glazes and Paint Accessories! www.theblueheronstudio.com

q bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, Brazilian Parrot with Copper Glazeq bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, Italian Ivory Glazed with Gold Highlight with Brilliant Whiteq bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, More Metallic Combos
  • Sooz

I have a waterfall highboy dresser that I am painting in an old whitechalk paint (plaster of paster) with two broad vertical stripes in perriwinkle in line with the knobs. then numbering the drawers in black down the middle. Good luck post when you are finished and I will too.

• Tracie

Hi - I just did a ASCP workshop this past weekend. The shop owner had this great dresser that she painted old white and did the drawers in an ombre with French Linen - started with the darkest at the bottom and progressively lighten the French linen color with the white on each drawer as it went up. It was stunning.

• Tracie

i.e. French Linen w/ 25% Old white, then FL with 50% OW and so on... hope that makes sense

• Elaine Simmons

Tracie, was it a 3 drawer dresser?

• Chipped and Charming

I sometimes like to do a bit of research and figure out what colors were popular when the piece was in use. But, most of the time I paint a piece on a whim and just choose a color I really love. I agree that you don't have to spend tons of money on paint. I usually make my own using Calcium Carbonate in powder form and mix it with my choice of FLAT latex paint. I buy it at my local health food store and it works great. What about keeping the top of your piece stained and paint only the bottom half in a soft muted color? Good luck and have fun!

• Tracie

Elaine, No it was a 4 drawer, but the top drawer was white, the same as the body. I think it would work with 1 3 drawer dresser as well

• Angie

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll start working it this weekend.

• Elaine Simmons

Thanks Tracie......will be several months before I can get at a dresser I bought since we are in the middle of moving and not sure it will work since mine is a large 4 drawer chest, not the empire type. But it has pretty hardware and I think it is solid wood.

• Tracie

I have tried the "chalk paint" home made recipes as well - they work well as far as the ease of painting, (i.e. no sanding/priming, etc) and have that matte finish - but they are still Latex paint. the beauty of genuine chalk paint, is that it is NOT latex and has no VOC. It works very well for people that have health issues as well as pregnant women. It is a bit pricey, but factor in that you don't spend time sanding or cost of primer and it goes a lot further than latex paint for the same amount, it's not quite as costly. There a lot of other advantages to it as well, but I'll leave that for all y'all to discover

• Elaine Simmons

Tracie, if it is not latex paint, can you tell us what it is? I am curious!

• Shabby Paints

Shabby Paints 29.99 a Quart..fyi :)

• Tracie

Hi Elaine, are you talking about the Annie Sloan chalk paint? I don't know exactly what it is but you could go to their website, www.anniesloanunfolded.com, which is the website for the U.S. It should have more information for you there. I am not a distributor or anything, I just really like the way the paint works. One evening I sat in my f/r painting a hugh frame for my sewing studio. No sanding, priming, drips. No muss no fuss.

• Tracie

Shabby Paints - Actually it's a bit more. More like $34.99 or so. Depend on where you buy it. As I said before, it is pricey but the results are what I am looking for and you don't use nearly as much paint as regular paint. Also there are a few more chalk paints out there, but I haven't used them and don't know anything about them.

• Angie

I like to use Annie Sloan Chalk paint or Cece Caldwell paint (clay and chalk). These paints have a great texture. I also just started using Milk Paint - LOVE!!!!!

• Tracie

so Angie, have you painted your antique dresser? What color did you decide on?

• Angie

Hi Tracie - yes! I painted the dresser :) Painted the dresser using Miss Mustard Seeds's Milk Paint in French Enamel. I love the way it turned out. This was my first time using milk paint and I'm in love :)

q bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, Painted the dresser using Miss Mustard Seeds s Milk Paint in French Enamel I love the way it turned out This was my first time using milk paint and I m in love
  • Rachelle Morris

that is beautiful! I have a couple questions. I have read, "no sanding" does that mean on any kind of finish of furniture? (Sorry if a dumb question, just very new to all this.) and my other question, specifically about your dresser, how did you paint the white details (branch) on there? By hand or a stencil? I want to do something like that on a few things and was thinking free hand, it at hold take a while... Thanks for your help!

• My Wonderful Walls

Wow Angie! That is gorgeous. Great job!!

• Angie

Thanks! to @Rachelle Morris , I used a stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils, do a search under "birds" and you will see it. Also, regarding the "no sanding" required. There are times when you don't need to sand and other times when you might. For this dresser, I had to sand just a tiny bit - because the top coat was flaking off the dresser and I wanted to clean it up. I didnt want "flakes" showing up on the paint. For this dresser (photo attached), I didnt sand it but you can read about "oil" spots... http://pintorella.com/chalk-painting-chest-of-drawers-or-chester-drawers/

q bought an antique dresser this weekend trying to figure out what chalk paint color, chalk paint, painted furniture, antique dresser painted with Cece Caldwell
  • Rachelle Morris

thanks so much! I will definitely do some more reading about this! I just have a tv cabinet that I painted (told I didn't need to sand it or prime it) and so I sanded it anyhow, didn't prime, but the paint is all peeling. I wondered if the chalk paint would maybe work better...

• Tracie

Beautiful - you did an awesome job. Love the graphics. I have never used Milk Paint. How did you like it?

• Lisa Cuddy

I don't see the handles. They were very interesting. I would turn them sideways and reuse them.