Ang189994
Ang189994
Asked on Jun 24, 2013

Can a clematis be grown in a container?

Kelly@mysoulfulhomeAng189994360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+1

I want to plant a clematis by our deck in a large pot. Would that be a possibility?
  • Justfixit

I have had clematis in containers before. Collect compost for awhile from your kitchen, put it in the bottom of a pot. Put grass clippings and perhaps newspaper on top of that. Put some good soil and manure on top of that. Plant your clematis in this pot and watch it take off. hth

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Sure, give it a place to climb, every few years you might need to do some root pruning and soil refreshment, so I would establish it in such a way so that you can accommodate that. Which one are you hoping to grow? The Armandii and Paniculata might grow too large too quick for the container, but there are a lot that will do great for you. Here is a wonderful resource for choosing http://www.donahuesclematis.com/all.html

• Ang189994

Thanks for your answers and for websites to go to for more information. This will be my project for this afternoon. I did plant two clematis in pots following suggestions. Thanks everyone.

• Kelly@mysoulfulhome

Definitely! Clematis likes it's roost in the shade & leaves/flowers in the sun. So perhaps add some low growing plants around the base to protect the roots from too much sun. For compost check out my current post @www.mysoulfulhome.com