How to Transform a Pillow/Cushion With a Paper Doily

I was cleaning out one of my kitchen drawers and came across an old pack of paper doilies left over from a previous garden party. As I wasn't planing on having any more fancy garden parties for a while I decided to use them for something completely different.
I used the paper doilies as stencils to transform some plain cushions/pillows I had on my outdoor sofa. I warn you that this is an addictive craft as the results are fabulous for such little effort.
how to transform a pillow cushion with a paper doily, crafts, how to, reupholster
All you need is a pack of paper doilies, a variety pack is best.
Some cushion covers to transform.
Paints in a contrasting colour, you can use fabric paint or I just used acrylic paint.
Foam paint pad.
Repositionable spray glue.
First spray your doily with the repositionable spray glue and place on the cushion where you want to stencil.
Using your foam paint pad, dab the holes in the paper doily with paint.
Once all the holes are covered, quickly and carefully remove the paper doily. If you leave the doily too long on the cushion it will get stickier and harder to remove.
Continue until you are happy with your design. You will need a fresh paper doily each time you stencil.
If you use acrylic paint like I have, if you visit my blog I show you how to heat set it.
I love making stuff for my little outdoor oasis to make it an even more inviting area to sit and chill. Recently I revamped an old window into a fun cocktail window, =click here to see it ..
I love making my own cushions as they are unique. In the past I've even upcycled some old sweaters into fantastic mountain cushions Click here to see them.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Carol

I have never seen such beautiful doilies as these! Wherever did you find them? Mine are not as detailed and seem ordinary compared to yours.

• Sarah Gerdes-Henderson

Do you need to wash the cushions afterwards because of the spray adhesive or does it dry hard? I’m afraid lint and dog hair will stick to the glue.

• Jolena Fitzsimmons

Could this be done on a window? What would you recommend to use to have paint stay as long as possible? Thinking mod podge?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

I would use glass paint on a window. I have a window outside that I painted with glass paint 3 years ago and it still looks good.