How can I fix my bedroom set?

+7
I Purchased an ASHLEY Pinella sleigh bed, large tall boy, dresser and 2 night stands. At the time it retailed $2000.00, I bought it from a second hand store for $700.00. The mirror is different than shown. It has a wood frame. It was stamped Ashley. It is crap. Pressed board with a lacquer finish. The press board is chipping and the finish shows EVERY finger print. I was thinking of painting it brown with a crackle finish of ivory or milk paint. How do I prepare the cheap finish? It is not even real wood, just glue and sawdust. We do plan on cutting off 6 inches off the bedframe as I am too short to get in. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
q how can i fix my bedroom set, bedroom ideas, painted furniture, Although this is exactly what I have it is a stock photo It is in pieces in the family room due to renovation
Although this is exactly what I have, it is a stock photo. It is in pieces in the family room due to renovation.