Carol C
Carol C
  • Mentor, OH

How do you get rid of pantry moths?

Keller Pest ControlCarol CKathrynElizabeth Etier
+10

• Walter Reeves

Indian Meal Moth is a common pest of stored seed and cereal. It doesn't take long for just a few hitchhikers to develop into a major problem. If you suspect meal moths may also be in the garage, remove the seed, store it in plastic bags inside your plastic containers and use it as soon as possible. Here are control steps indoors: • Immediately empty your food cabinets or pantry and clean every surface. • Seal cracks and crevices with caulk (moths lay their eggs in cracks). Examine and wipe clean all cans and glass jars before putting them back in storage (look especially at the crack between the lid and the jar). • Place any boxed food into re-sealable plastic bags before putting them away. Cereal, grits, raisins, soup mix, oatmeal....everything! • Every week for a month, check all of the plastic bags and discard any that have moths fluttering inside. • To monitor your control, purchase a "Pantry Pest Trap" from a garden center or hardware store and hang it in your biggest cabinet and in your garage. • When you go two weeks without seeing or trapping any moths, the pests are gone for good.

• Pam

Try putting bay leaves in you dry cereals and keeping them in plastic containers. This helped when I had a ptoblem with little buggers getting in corn meal, etc. several years ago. I brought some dry goods (grits and corn meal mix) home from the Ozarks and started getting these little bugs infesting all my dry goods. The dry bay leaves helped.

• Carol C

Thanks, Pam, will get some and try it.

• James Smith

Moth Killer products: http://www.mothkiller.co.uk/

• Valerie

I also use bay leaves, and air-tight jars or containers as much as possible.

• Keller Pest Control

They are called Indian Meal Moths and are easy to resolve as long as you do one thing first. Find the source it will be either wild bird feed,, pet food, grain, beans or flower starchy items. It will be something in or near the infestation area. Look at the ceiling where the wall and ceiling ,meet you will see yellow 3/4 " worm/maggot looking larvae. they go to the ceiling and spin n a cocoon or web area to change into a moth. The way to control is remove the source. Put all contaminated foods in garbage outside of house, freeze for 24 hours nay foo you want to keep. Then was all cabinets thoroughly with bleach water. Vacuum all larvae and webs off of ceiling. Then lightly apply a pesticide to the cracks and crevices in kitchen and infestation areas.

• Kat Davis-Moran

i freeze everything i bring home then Store food properly. Clean containers with hot, soapy water, then rinse and dry them thoroughly before refilling. Use tightly sealed metal, glass or hard plastic containers to store food; plastic bags are inadequate, as insects can get through them. Keep old and new food separate, and keep infrequently used items in the freezer.

• Sheila Conlon

I am new to Central FL, from Colorado and I have noticed that in pasta packaging there are these little beetles. The exterminator only could tell me that there is no way to get rid of them they are at the store and 'burrow' in the pasta, buy pasta in plastic packaging -- yea right wondering when the last time he went to the store all are in boxes now. I been cleaning every day since moving here 2 months ago I don't know what to do I really do not have time to make my noodles. I do put most of my 'dry-goods' in the freezer, I can not find any information on what these little 'buggers' are, or where they are coming from, or how to effectively terminate their existence at my house.

• Keller Pest Control

you can go to our website www.kellerpest.com and look at the pest library under stored product pests. or look up stored product pests on the web go to the links with edu on their titles. look up flour beetles , confused flour beetles weevils, grain beetles they will help you identify and give you simple treatment recommendations. They are simple to control. I would suggest changing where you shop and buy only newer dated foods. don't keep grains, beans flours, to long in cabinets. Freeze all items before you store them in the pantry. Rotate your foods quickly. Clean out the cabinets and use a good cleaner, Bleach water works. Then treat the cracks and crevices. Find the source of the infestation and remove it.

• KathrynElizabeth Etier

I've never heard the term "pantry moths" before but I am very interested in knowing how to control them. In the last month, our kitchen has been invaded by small moths, and we have no clue where they are coming from, since I store everything in plastic zip bags or glass (I used to live in the north where roaches were a common problem). My granddaughter is terrified of bugs, and I really have to get rid of these. I've never seen these bugs before, and I'd really like to never see them again.

• Carol C

I never had them either. I could not get rid of them. I threw practically everything I owned out when I shouldn't have. Ultimately, I found the "nest" inside a container with dry cat food. THe nest looks like webbing, may have dead moths around the area, and you may find the larvae which is gross. I found none in flour, sugar, rice, or anything life that, only in the cat food, however they were in another cupboard away from the cat food and I have no idea where the nest was. I threw everything away, bleached cleaned the area and at last I got rid of them. If you even see one flying around, you have NOT found the nest. It's so gross! Hope this helps some. I also put basil leaves in the cupboards which someone told me to do.

• Keller Pest Control

Hey @Carol & @Kathryn read my post above they are called Indian Meal Moths and are a stored product pest. They generally come form pet food and more commonly wild bird feed . the post above will tell how to handle www.kellerpest.com (then click on ) pest library (/Then click )stored product pests or they will be Angoumois grain moth

, Adult Indian meal moths have a wingspan of roughly five eighths of an inch wide and the wings which are copper and grey in color fold backwards while at rest showing copper and grey bands While the adults don t feed stored products the larvae will eat coarse flour seeds chocolate beans peppers and spices processed food and most products manufacture from these materials The eggs are typically laid nocturnally and directly onto the material and over a three week period an adult female will lay more than 400 eggs Indian meal moths are a severe threat to both residential and commercial food storage locations The larvae produce a silken web like substance throughout the material they re eating and mature larvae tend to travel away from the food source in order to pupate which is when homeowners may frequently find them in large numbers disperse across the entire room, This moth is a third of an inch long and pale yellow brown in color with a wing span of one inch Both wings end in a thumb like projection They prefer to feed on barley rye ears of corn oats rice and various seeds Grain infested by the Angoumois grain moth larvae has an unpleasant smell and is less attractive for consumption Most problems with the Angoumois grain moth in corn occur in crib stored ears although the infestation may have begun in the field Corn infested in the field may harbor larvae feeding within corn kernels Similar to weevils the larvae develop in whole kernels or caked grain The eggs are white when first deposited but soon turn red Full grown larvae are one fifth inch long and white with a yellow head