"Polatems" (pots, plates, totems) birdbaths, bird feeders and planters.

I had so much fun putting my "Polatems" together. I collected beautiful pots and plates from Goodwill and garage sales. I dug a hole 12" deep intserted a piece of rebar, which can be purchased at a hardware store in any length of your choice. Fill the hole with concrete. Level the rebar to make it straight. Once the concrete dries..overnight is good, start putting the pots and plates onto the rebar in an artistic order, gluing them as you go..I used glass glue from the hardware store, it comes in a caulking tube. Use a level to keep each pot or plate straight. You can add pieces in the middle such as a metal dish from an old firepit as a planter or even a terricotta planter. Just be creative. Top it off with a glass ball, a ceramic bird or whatever suits you fancy. There you have it ...Enjoy and watch the birds..even the Hummers like the colors.
"Polatems" (Pots,plates, totems) My husband always says "What will she think of next"!

• Julie

cant you hammer the rebar into the ground instead of pouring cement for the totems?

• Frankie t.

I like the idea of pouring the cement into a planter. If you only fill it part way, you could finish filling it with soil and hens and chicks or other plants.

• Sue Kulhanek Reuschlein

Do you keep them out all year? If so, does the freezing bother them? I made 3 totems here in Kansas but I dismantle them and bring the pieces inside over the winter. Also I had to relocate them because someone stole the top piece of one of them! Now they aren't near the sidewalk.

• Marie Oriol-Lavalle

I'm confused; you say "start putting the pots and pans onto the rebar and glueing " as you go. How do you get those items onto the bar if you don't first drill a hole in them? No where in the instructions do you mention drilling the outs and/or plates. Did I miss something??😳

• Patty S

Yes you do drill holes using a carbide bit.

• Tammy

A close up pic and items used or suggested items to use would be most helpful. How far down did you go? I live in FL so how safe is that to ensure wind won't send them as missles during hurricanes?

• Dor10497671

Really Tammy---I also live in FL and would remove them if a hurricane warning was issued. For that reason, I would not glue them in place, just stack them together.

• BonitaBonita

Great project. love it.....