DIY Wooden Trellis

We've been slowly working on our curb appeal we started with these DIY Planter Boxes and are moving around to the front of the garage .We removed our GIANT Hibiscus bush and this left a HUGE empty space between the windows on my garage.
So I decided I wanted to put a trellis there for this beautiful Clematis to climb and fill it up a bit. I found This one on Amazon (aff link)Wooden Trellis but it was WAY out of my budget.I knew with The Beard's help we could come up with something!
So I found These Super cheap Furring Strips at lowes in the outdoor deck section. They were 8 ft sticks @ .88 A piece and came in a bundle of 8. I knew they'd be perfect so we brought them home and got to work.
Mark The Length
We didn't really measure anything I just cut a piece and laid it on there the length I thought I wanted the braces to be apart. After we decided that The Beard just cut 16 Pieces the same and attached them to the 3 Brace pieces.
Set the Miter saw to a 45 Degree angle to create the chevron pattern
Line the pieces up...
Then nail them in .
That's it! We decided to leave it plain wood but you could stain or paint it at this point. I think it took The Beard a total of 10 Minutes to put this together. It was so easy and saved us about 40.00!
I can't wait until the Clematis is all grown and filled out it's going to be gorgeous! For a Full list of supplies visit the link below

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Stacey @addisonmeadowslane

• Hanora Brennan

Would a white clematis not be more appropriate?

• Dianne

how long will the trellis last if not treated wood?

• Joe Jones

It lasts a little longer than you would imagine I live in Florida and it’s hot humid and rainy and it would last two summers for sure but use the same Thompson’s deck sealant you would on a deck or paint it and polyurethane over it and it’ll last for a long long time

• Joe Jones

Did you know you can cut them all 90° or square and butt them together and they will still make the chevron if you don’t have a miter or aren’t comfortable cutting a 45° with a skillsaw

This isn’t a question for serious question but to let people without a miter saw know you can do it with 90° cuts

• Noone

Seriously love this idea!! I was just thinking about a trellis the other day for my trumpet vine. It has grown outward instead of upward, so this might be what I need to do. To expand on the idea a little, I wonder if you could make this 3-4 sided as a free-standing trellis. P.S. Love the idea of using inexpensive furring strips! I love going to home improvement stores and just browsing around for ideas, sooo much fun!! My local store employees recognize me when I walk in! :)

• Joe Jones

I have confederate jasmine I’ve been trying to figure out what to do and this solved it

• Helen

The easiest ones that we've made were heavy duty and I wanted them, more or less, to also shade off the patio and screen from neighbors' view. He cut 8 ft and anchored them in the ground with! We did 3 of these in separate sections about 5 ft wide for each. Next we went to the Home Depot and bought pre-made white, wood trellis 8ft X 5ft. these were attached to each piece we'd previously done. Each year, my Clematis covers these 3 pieces that are placed about 6" apart. I've had many compliments on it and am very happy with the results.