Sharon
Sharon
  • Decatur, MS
Asked on Jun 25, 2013

How can I ship a plant to someone safely?

Sharon360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Cynthia
+1

A lady on hometalk offred to send me a plant she has ... want to ship this live plant.

FedEx has suggestions here: http://www.fedex.com/us/packaging/guides/Flowers_fxcom.pdf I'm not sure how big the plant is, but it's important that she wrap the root ball, and that she find a way to fasten it to the side of the box so that it doesn't shift around during transit. You should definitely use a priority service. And it's generally not recommended to ship plants when temperatures are over 90.

• Cynthia

Make sure the root ball stays moist,.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

We used to ship out live tomato plants so I am with Douglas on the importance of stabilizing the plant within the box. We used a combination of peanuts and styrofoam (recycled). Heat can kill a plant if left in a box for over 48 hours. Don't ship it wet, just moist. If you ship wet it can end up with nasty fungus infections by the end of the trip.

• Sharon

Thank you! And it's some babies or cuttings from that pretty chandelier plant we discussed a few days ago...