Bumblebee Bowling Ball Project

This is my first attempt with bowling ball garden art and my first time posting. Meet Queen Bee-atrise.
bumblebee bowling ball project, crafts, gardening
First, I painted the ball Marigold yellow. After letting dry for 24 hours, completely cover with painters tape. Now, locate and mark the finger and thumb holes. This helps in determining the center of the face. Using a push pin, string and pin draw the first circle (this is the face). For each of the lines lengthen the string accordingly. I made my stripes 2 1/2".
Run an exacto or razor knife along the lines and remove the tape from the area your painting black. Spray paint the exposed areas and immediately remove tape. When paint is dry, fill each hole one third full with hot glue and let cool. When cool, fill another third and let cool. (I found if you fill the hole all at once, it takes a long time to set)
I used a heavy weight electrical wire for the antennas. Cut 2-10" wires.
Position one antenna in a finger hole and fill with hot glue. Hold into position until set. Repeat for other antenna.
I used an old pinwheel for the wings. Remove the petals by pulling each one out of the spoke. Pull the wire out of the petal. Do not cut the fabric. We'll use this for a pattern. Insert the ends of the wire back into the spoke. This will keep the shape of the wings while stitching the screen on.
I used black window screen for the wings. Place the pattern on the screen and cut around the pattern leaving 1/4" allowance. Brush super glue on the wire and center the screen on the wire. Place something heavy on the screen until glue has set. Now, fold the allowance over the back of the wire and stitch.
Finish filling the thumb hole with hot glue and working quickly position the wings and and hold until set.
I used the stake from a solar light for the stinger. Simply glue on.
Now paint the face. This can be done freehand or by making a template. Finish with a coat of polyurethane and you're done!

• Bowling Ball, painters tape, spray paint, heavy electric wire, pinwheel, stake from solar light.  (I got the bowling ball at a yard sale. The paint at Walmart and everything else was pre-used materia)

• Patricia Fluharty

What is the stand made of?

• MaryJane

I'm making 8 of them now as I write to give as Christmas in July gifts which will cover me from shopping for 8 in the winter. I wish I could think up cute stands as your. They are getting a metal 3ft. stake.

• Hotheadzmarine.williamson

I'm confused... you put the antennas in the 2 finger holes and the wings in Thumb hole? .... so where does the stinger go.??

• Susan

Really cute!

• Penny

I absolutely adore this project. The bumble bee is so precious and the thought of making this with and for my grandchildren will be a magical experience, to say the least.