Creating Unique Waxed Finish Using Dark Wax Directly Over Chalk Paint

When you read the painting blogs and the directions about waxing over chalk paint, most of the time you read...."Do not use dark wax without first applying clear wax first." I'm the kind of decorative furniture painter that believes once you know and understand them, rules are made to be broken. My favorite way to finish a chalk painted piece is to wax directly over the color using dark wax. This technique creates a lovely, rich and unique finish that I adore. Yes, the dark wax "colors" the painted finish but that is exactly what I love about it! Donna at The Small House Under a Big Sky. A blog about my creative hand-painted furniture adventures.
A roadside rescue, I transformed this chair using glue, chalk paint and dark wax.
This barn sale table was repurposed using chalk paint with dark wax directly over it to create a metallic looking finish and my handmade paper drawer liner.
One of my favorite all time finishes; dark wax directly over CeCe Caldwell's, Maine Blue chalk paint (and my custom mixed blue/green paint.)

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 11 comments
Next