Diana K
Diana K
  • East Bend, NC

Updated and Transformed "deck to Oasis of Serenity"

this is the deck we started with when we moved here 7 years ago..since then I have found out I have lupus and sometimes have a really hard time doing what I get in my head (which used to keep me very busy and usually in mischief )..my husband has built the porch into a sanctuary for me..close enough to the front door that he can hear if I fall & I don't have to trek the north 40 to get there ;) and still private enough to get some me time :) It was constructed primarily of 2x4x8's and he cut and designed(all in his head) what he'd do to undertake this major feat.YEP LADIES!!! HE'S A KEEPER :) <3
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, well THIS is what we started with kinda scary right
well,THIS is what we started with..kinda scary ..right ;)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, after several store bought and free cycled gazebo frames that would not withstand storms snows and of course wind hubby took things in his own hands
after several store bought,and free cycled gazebo frames that would not withstand storms, snows and of course wind, hubby took things in his own hands ;)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, he is having second thoughts but trudges on
he is having second thoughts ;) but trudges on :)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, we even recruited my daughters boyfriend into the act he s tall a hard worker and has a steady ladder that doesn t fold up with you thats a big plus
we even recruited my daughters boyfriend into the act..he's tall,a hard worker,and has a steady ladder that doesn't fold up with you..thats a big plus :)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, Of course along with the boyfriend comes the middle daughter Gracie
Of course, along with the boyfriend, comes the middle daughter :) Gracie
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, well it took many sleepless nights of studying and soul searching but Donnie finally decided how he wanted to construct the perfect roof HE WAS ADAMANT THAT IT WOULDNT BE FLAT
well, it took many sleepless nights of studying and soul searching, but Donnie finally decided how he wanted to construct the "perfect" roof.. HE WAS ADAMANT THAT IT WOULDNT BE FLAT :)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, look at that pitch O o
look at that pitch (O.o) :)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, oh how we anxiously anticipated the hanging of the door which I guarded with my life and slept with it by my bed until the appropriate hanging day yep its my dream screen door
oh how we anxiously anticipated the hanging of the door, which I guarded with my life, and slept with it by my bed until the appropriate hanging day :) yep, its my dream screen door :)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, and then came the construction of the screen panels no easy task and thwarted by gremlins of screen dom I think we patched twice and completely replaced one panel thus it is wire not fabric screen
and then came the construction of the screen panels...no easy task,and thwarted by gremlins of screen-dom ...I think we "patched" twice,and completely replaced one panel..thus it is wire not fabric screen :)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, AHHHHH Time for my favorite part ambiance the interior decorating has begun
AHHHHH! Time for my favorite part, ambiance =) the interior decorating has begun :*)
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, Oh I may cry the perfect gift from the perfect husband
Oh, I may cry,the perfect gift from the perfect husband..
updated and transformed deck to oasis of serenity, decks, diy, how to, outdoor living, porches, woodworking projects, I can honestly say he made all my dreams come true By the way all this took from the first week of May to mid June Yes he held down his full time job and worked all his off time evenings weekends on this little project
I can honestly say,he made all my dreams come true =*)By the way,all this took from the first week of May to mid-June :) Yes,he held down his full time job and worked all his off time (evenings weekends on this little project :)

• Nanc Howell-Branch

I love the cozy outdoor nitch! What is the roofing material? I think that a metal roof of this would be awesome. It would be so relaxing to sit out there in a gentle rain listening to it hit the roof!

• Angie Knowles

I think both your hubby and the outdoor getaway he made for you are excellent. Congrats to you and enjoy them both. TY for sharing :)!

• Sherry Hershberger

Love this idea. Just Love it

• Bud4899245

This is beautiful! You are very lucky :)

• Wanda

I love it , great job! Everyone would enjoy your "sanctuary"

• Cyn7465255

Love it. Congrats to hubby for his hard work an dedication !!!

• Jdh5757758

Where did you get the gorgeous screen door? Awesome project and result!

• Tina

Lowe's and Home Depot both sell these beautiful screen doors. They come in vinyl. Both white and dark. I ordered mine online and picked it up at the store.

• Jdh5757758

Thank you!

• Diana K

lowes is where I got the screen door..$129.00
  • Evelynne

More of a response, I love this gazebo idea. My hubby didn't quite get it , your post might help. I have Lupus, and when it is hard to get around and sun is not your friend going outside is difficult. Thank you I hope to have a gazebo in the near future.

• Kathyf954

how much did it cost

• Kenneth Paul

Thank you for sharing. A true love story!!

• Cynthia Isslieb

No question, but your porch looks awesome! Can I borrow him? I'm on my second gazebo! Great job, well done. Enjoy😊

• Ginny

I too have a chronic condition. Believe me--I get it! This project is adorable and I am experiencing vintage screen door envy! God bless him & you!

• Kellie

Chronic conditions really are awful. Amazing how many of us coming out so to speak with this post! Ot does feel good to know we're not alone! Hugs Ginny!!

• Carolyn Noyer

Indeed chronic disease is not fun, I think I'd rather have this than the other front porch patio thing I saw earlier

• MM

Yup. Several autoimmune disorders with chronic pain and fatigue. That's me. So when I saw this huge effort from your family. I thought I would cry. You deserve it and need it for your mental and physical health. I am so happy for you!

• Joyce

Why didn't he do the whole porch?

• Launa Elaine Strickland

Fair enough question. Be gentle. The question probably sounds a little abrupt because she didn't add how much she loves it.

• KathyJb

The way it is now the rain won't fall on the house and harm any wood. I think it's lovely. I want one

• Dianna Sewell Brown

I was actually wondering the same thing... but after looking at the finished product, I like how he left a walkway around it that is still open to the elements. I think we are doing the whole back porch because we DO need to cover the back door area as well (too much wind and rain causing damage to the rear of the house) but I love the design and will be showing this to hubby! It's beautiful!!

• Diane Schule

It's like a little tea house, and you can put potted flowers around it.

• Diana K

I dont want the entire porch taken up with it! its MY play house, but we have others who live here too, my furr babies take presidence and they have to have their space too
  • Teri Etchoe Kirchen

Beautiful job, where did you get the screen door?

• Susan Franklin

I love the design! I have been talking about a screened porch for years. Just wondering why you didn't attach it to the house? Instead of having the small space between the house and screen porch.

• Suellen Stewart

In CA if it is not attacked to the house you do not need building permit.

• Susan Franklin

Thanks, we have the opposite. Our home owners assn requires approval of unattached building, but not if it is attached. Go figure!

• Patti Zgabay

If it was attached he wouldn't have been able to put a pitch on the roof or if he had it would've been so low on the outside edge no one could've stood under it.

• Sha8398673

What did you use to paint the floor. Love the blue, but will it hold up with changing seasons in Georgia?

• Cheryl Low-Mccarty

Love it he did a wonderful job. Where did you find the beautiful screen door?

• Judy Sober

Two things I am thinking, I would stain the floor instead of painting it so it wont get scratched up moving furniture. Then just wax it. You could even use car wax. The other thing is I don't understand the railing on the steps. Looks like they went into a V. Can you explain why?

• Ast8258964

Seriously??? Wax the floor???? As fir the hand railings forming a V---did you not comprehend the fact that this lady has Lupus and is liable to fall? I suspect you have chemo-brain.

• Carolyn Powers

Looks like the "v" is planter beds

• Roberta Shaw

@Astep17427, this is not a place to say horrible things to people. Even I had to go back and look at the V and just to inform you I hav MS and yes I have Chemo-brain. As for waxing the floor, if you look at the finished project you will see that they put down no wax linoleum floor so please don't judge people. God don't like ugly.

• San22633166

You go Roberta! Some people have a hard time being nice.

• Que7778915

Do you have any plans that you followed? Material list? It is awesome!!!!

• Diana K

he had it all in his head, never a plan, or any list ..he's really good ;)
  • Mary bennett

Great job.......😊 what did you use as a floor?

• Diana K

I laid a floor of tarpaper and put stick on tile on it

• Mary Alice

You said wire not screen? What kind of wire?

• Pamela J. Ludington-Rice

It's wire mesh screen, not fabric mesh screen. Think old fashion screen when you were a kid!

• Diana K

this is thin mesh WIRE so that animals cant get thru, we have coyotes, foxes, and even bears here!
  • Blaez

This is absolutely beautiful! 💖 Fantastic job on the part of your hubby and his helpers! I have a rare bone disease and can't get out much. I have been wanting something like this for a long time now and this gives me a great idea for my son's to do. I am curious about one thing... since you have fencing/railing already on your deck, would it not have been more convenient to build it attached to that and made it roughly 2 ft bigger on the one side and back? I'm asking because my deck is made kind of the same way with the exception of my wheelchair ramp. Putting this on my deck like you have would enable me to use my wheelchair to go in and out and attaching it to the decking would utilize what's already there and allow me to add more space inside. Or am I wrong?  I would truly appreciate your input. Thank you for the inspiration!! Your husband should do this full time!
    • Diana K

actually I asked it not be connected, we have 10 furrbabies (3 dogs,7 cats) and they need this area to go around the gazebo (a "catwalk" of sorts)
      we have 10ft by 10ft and on a previously constructed deck, we were cautious about just how much weight it could hold. If you do build one, be sure to make them reinforce it from underneath your deck as it is as much weight as a small house..this is heavy lumber with a full roof and trusses, so there is a lot of extra weight there...my husband wanted me to tell you to PLEASE be sure to get them to reinforce, reinforce, reinforce.. its key to your safety and enjoyment
    • Blaez

Ahhh.....yes, with furbabies, that makes sense!! Thank you for clarifying that for me cause I was wondering if it was a structural reason. And I promise faithfully 🙋 to make sure they reinforce! My boys are kinda anal about safety where I'm concerned, so that shouldn't be a problem! Thank you so much for everything and I hope you enjoy your "she shack"! I know I will when I get mine!

• Betty Lou Lee

Very nice husband.

• Brenda H

Your husband I definitely a keeper! Great job! (Also- genius using the boyfriend! Free labor, willing to do nearly anything to make good impression on parents!) Enjoy your beautiful screen room!