Asked on Jun 25, 2013

Plant Identification Please

Machelle Martichuski-BaxleyCarole AndersenTanya Peterson Felsheim
+24

I got this plant from a thrift store, Have no idea what it is. I live in the southwest part of Florida......anyone know what it is? It has no flowers as of yet and as the new leaves form the bottom ones get yellow and fall off? Help
plant identification please, flowers, gardening
  • Sunush

It looks like a tipu plant.

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. This is a very young plant and havent seen any blooms as of yet Thanks though

• Sunush

Tipu plant has yellow flowers.

• Kris Cole

Many plants that turn yellow as yours has have an iron deficiency. Miracle grow makes a fertilizer just for these plants. My Rhododendron was doing the same thing, yellowing leaves at the base, falling off. New growth great, but as it grew, then the leaves fell off. I originally thought it was too much rain, but it continued to do so after the Spring rains. I used the Miracid, and no more yellowing leaves. I also used it on my roses and hydrangeas and Clematis. As well as my Hibiscus, any flowering plant generally needs more than an ordinary fertilizer. Wish I could help you with what type of plant that is, but I am in Minnesota. I have never seen that before. Best of luck!

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

Thanks for the fertilizer info Kris... I'll try that, sadly I still don't know what kind of plant this is yet..still hopeing

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Cynthia

Compare the leaves to the plant below. It's a Tipu Plant. Here is how to care for it. http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_0741.html

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.In comparing the leaf pattern mine only has 5 sets of leaves without a single leaf at the end like the tipu....you think maybe because it is still so young? or is it because it is a different plant?

• Gloria W

It looks like a cassia to me.There are many different ones, I have the Cassia Candelabra.

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. That was one of the plants that I think it might be also, we shall see, huh?

• Brenda De Lair

It kind of looks like an Indigo or Baptisia to me but it is hard to tell without the flower. If it were me, I would just let it grow until it becomes more defined.

• Brenda De Lair

Is the stem woody? If it is, it is definitely not an indigo.

It does look like it could be a senna or cassia to me. You may have to wait until there is a bloom to get a definitive answer.

• Geri Bouwman

It looks like an obedient plant to me but I can be wrong. If you move a stem over and it stays there that is what it is

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

thank you all for your answers, and yes the stem is woody.... I love it no matter what it is, People think I'm nuts , but even common weeds are pretty to me, most are just minature flowers..:), heres an example, this is one of the prettiest color flowers, but after the bloom fades guess what it's a dandalion, sweet made up of a thousand childrens wishes....

• Martha Grice

I have no idea what it is, could be one of many possibilities, my suggestion is take the pot to your nearest nursery (plant) and ask them. If they don't know they usually have a point of reference for you to research.

• Jeanne Nelson

Definitely doesn't look like my obedient plant!

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

Jeanne what kind of plant do you have?

• Doreen Nestell

Machelle this was such a blessing that you asked. I have a huge tree like this in my yard( if it wasn't pouring I would take a picture). I got it from my mom's where it just must have landed and grew. We did not plant it. Mine has big thick leaves that pray ( opens in the day and closes at night). The flowers are a big yellow spike shaped mass. Have not really seen any open to a flower. But like you I love my weeds and bird dropped presents!!! God's grace, peace, light, and love to you, In Jesus' Service Doreen

• Doreen Nestell

Here it is...

plant identification please, flowers, gardening, Stopped raining O it is way tall and only a year old
  • Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

As a side note to everyone that helped...Thank you I think it is a cassia, after looking at Doreens it is like that but much smaller for now...I did however put some fertilizer on it as suggested by Kris and you should see the difference in size just over night and the leaves look good and green .Thanks so much everyone.

• Doreen Nestell

Do you know what a poinciana is? That could be one of those. I noticed that it was not mentioned.

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

doreen I looked the poinciana up and although it looks similar, the size of the leaf is much larger than the ponciana... I think what we have is the cassia candelabra, hence the tall yellow flower pods.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

@Machelle Martichuski-Baxley this reminds me of the vinca major we have...the vinca minor considered an invasive weed (at least by my husband)

• Machelle Martichuski-Baxley

Here's my little mystery tree....not so little now, I love it.

plant identification please, flowers, gardening, In a short time it has grow to over 5 feet tall and is about to bloomplant identification please, flowers, gardeningplant identification please, flowers, gardening