Keri
Keri
  • Grand Blanc, MI
Asked on Jun 25, 2013

Having problems with a few of my plants. Need advice please.

Jane ReimerMarilynGail Salminen
+3

First, is something or what is eating my Cana Lilly?

Second, I think I cut down these mums to early this year. Will they come back/fill in?

Last, my fountain grass hasn't grown a bit since planting. Any ideas why?
Holey Canas
Holey Canas
The mums are growing along the outside but blank in the middle :-/
Sad looking fountain grass. They are supposed to add height to the bed..lol
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

maybe slugs on your cannas. Probably won't get any center growth on the mums at this point It has probably been too cold for the fountain grass to get comfortable and grow..it should take off soon.

• Cynthia

I agree with Donna.

• DebFA

put some broken-up egg shells around your cannas to keep the slugs off...they won't slide over the sharp edges.

• Gail Salminen

@Keri could be a soil problem. You could have it tested. A local nursery may be able to help you augment the soil so that next year is better. I agree with people on the canas - if it is slugs you can put some beer in a low container below the plant and the slugs will go to the bar rather than the leaves LOL Is pretty effective in ridding the slugs in your yard. There are also fancy slug traps on the market that add a decorative feature to the garden.

• Marilyn

If you have ear wigs they will do it also.Put a saucer of beer out for the slugs, either the beer kills them or they drown, I don't remember which.

• Jane Reimer

I have had excellent results with diatomaceous earth. It is completely a inert and affordable powder that you can purchase at your local pool place. Just sprinkle it through out you gardens.