Garden Globes

$30

As many of you know from reading my previous posts, I am not a garden girl. I love the idea of growing things and making my yard beautiful with tons of flowers, shrubbery and the like, but I've just never been good at maintaining plant life. I'm still trying to keep my few plants and herbs alive (so far, so good!) but in the meantime, I'll work on beautifying my yard with stuff I know I can do--decor! These garden globes were pretty easy to make once I got a technique down and I was pleased with the outcome.
I used terra cotta saucers, glass light globes, flat Dollar Store marbles, and a strong adhesive.
*Note: I originally wanted to add little fairy lights (the Starlights pictured above) inside the garden globes, but turns out that I couldn't, because I was going to be gluing the globes to Terra Cotta saucers, so I had to scratch that from this project.
STEP 1: Add Adhesive to the Saucers
Apply the adhesive of your choice to the Terra Cotta saucers. For my small (4") glass light globe, I used a 4" saucer and for my large (6") glass light globe, I used a 6" saucer. I was originally using caulking for my adhesive, but it was a DISASTER when I started gluing the marbles to my glass light globes. However, for my saucers, the caulking sufficed...it just takes FOREVER to dry.
STEP 2: Attach Your Light Globe to the Saucer
Place your glass light globe on your saucer. Because of the caulking and how long it takes to dry, the light globe wasn't secured, so be careful with doing the next few steps. If you do decide to use caulking, I recommend doing this step and letting it dry overnight.
STEP 3: Adhere Your Marbles
Adhere your marbles to your light globe. WARNING: DO NOT APPLY YOUR FLAT MARBLES LIKE THIS!
Disclaimer: With my smaller light globe, I started adhering the marbles from the bottom and worked my way up, however, the marbles started sliding off...
With my larger light globe, I changed my technique and started adhering the marbles from the top first. This worked better, however, I could only get so far before the marbles wanted to start sliding off again (because the caulking was taking forever to dry), so I applied all that I could without them sliding off and let it sit overnight to dry.
The next day, I changed my strategy. I picked up a different adhesive--this stuff is thicker and on the chalky side so it helped with my issue of the marbles sliding off. With this new adhesive though, I could only put a little dot on the back of the marbles before applying them, because this stuff dries white, not clear.
Note: Once I was halfway through this project, and had already adhered my small glass light globe to my small Terra Cotta saucer, I decided to paint the saucers. I carefully painted the small saucer, trying not to get paint on the bottom marbles (though I did accidentally get a few spots), then, since I only had the top half of my large glass light globe finished with the marbles, I painted my larger saucer really quickly and used the same thick/chalky adhesive to adhere the globe to it.
***SUPPLIES UPDATE!!!
My husband grabbed this adhesive for me and it worked wonders for this project! As some of you know, I had a horrible first attempt but, "if at first you don't succeed, try try again"...right? This adhesive did the trick to keep me from losing my marbles (pun intended lol).
Aren't they just so sparkly and whimsical? Who says you need to have a green thumb to add bursts of pretty to your garden, right? Here's how easy it was...
In the end, given the mega disaster with the sliding marbles, I was happy with how these garden globes came out. The marbles themselves were $1 a bag at The Dollar Tree so for such an inexpensive project, I was pleased with how these blue garden globes gave my very bare flower garden a nice POP! Another addition you could make would be to put these globes on some sort of stake to raise them up off the ground.
*Note: for both globes (one large, one small), I used a total of 6 1/2 bags of marbles.
*Also note: I went back and added the fairy lights after all. I simply drilled a hole in the bottom of my saucers and fed the lights through. They look so pretty lit up at night!

• Terra Cotta saucers  (Home Depot)
  • Glass Light Globes  (Home Depot)
  • Flat Marbles  (The Dollar Store)

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles

• LuzMa Rivera
    LuzMa Rivera

I want to try this project but did not see any responses from the creator of this project. I have the same questions. Where are the answers?

• Christina
    Christina

What is the climate where you live? I live in Minnesota and our winters are cold. Would they need to be brought inside for the cold months? I’m guessing yes.

• Nettie Cowan Smith
    Nettie Cowan Smith

Yes I want to try it but how would I get it to light up and what light should I used. Thank you

• Terri Morgan
      Terri Morgan

I would drill hole in saucer and thread solar lights through into the globe.

• S April Ratliff Brown
    S April Ratliff Brown

I'm inspired and think that I will try this with solar lights.

• Betsy Lou Harris
      Betsy Lou Harris

Did this work with the solar lights??? I was wanting to try, but my money is not stretching very far these days...

• Sharonsgarden
    Sharonsgarden

If you grout this, it will make it last longer, preventing water from getting under your adhesive and wearing it down over time. It will also focus more of the light directly through the gems versus coming out from where there are no gems.