Sue B
Sue B
  • Richmond, VA

Is there anything that is environmentally friendly that gets rid of spiders in the yard?

Susan SStarr DurrantPat S
+8

• Walter Reeves

Does it help to know that yard spiders are not poisonous ...or are you in the "I just don't like 'em!"mode?

• Pam

It's not the yard spiders that freighten me. It's the brown recluse. I had a friend who was bitten in a furniture store wher she worked. This is freightening.

• Missingtx

Pam, I've been bitten by a brown recluse & didn't even realize until the next day. They like dark places people don't mess with, like your attic. I got bitten cleaning mine out. They get sore very quickly, I saw my Dr. asap 2 or 3 day. It was sizable and painful by then. He told me it was a brown recluse bite. It was dark and the tissue squishy looking. If you think you've been bitten see your Dr. asap. He used a syringe and it one visit drained all the fluid and mucus using the syringe about 3 times. It hurt but I lost no flesh, which can happen without treatment. However, do not go around fearing one, no one can afford to live in fear. O.K?

• 3po3

I gotta second Walter. Spiders may not be fun to look at, but they are a great insecticide, eating and getting rid of lots of other more problematic pests.

• Spiders are around because their environment is allowing them to flourish. Practice what is known in the pest industry as integrated pest control. This method of controlling insects is becoming a popular method of removing insects and or lowering their amounts without using any chemicals. Or at least very little amounts. Its really simply a matter of changing the environment in which they live. Keep your grass cut short. Remove areas in which they can hide and feel safe. Remove areas of standing water, stored wood and even play toys that are not used anymore. The chemical side is then much easier as then your areas in which to apply if they are still abundant would be simply a chemical barrier around the base of the foundation of the home or outbuildings where they are a nuisance. This method of pest control works with just about any insect or rodent.

• KMS Woodworks

the two most hated and killed for no reason types of animals are spiders and snakes. Its sad when some folks "instincts" tell them to kills these creatures on sight. By far, the majority of these guys are harmless to people and are just trying to survive.

• Susan S

I don't kill spiders unless they are brown recluse and in my house...education is the best reason to not kill them.

• Denise Gentry A

I do not like spiders, but I allow them to live in my yard-all except black widows & brown recluse. Some are beneficial. I don't know what they do (shudder) but when I was in instruction for gardening there was a list of beneficial insects & arachnids.

• Pat S

spiders are good in the garden, they eat so many of the bad bugs.

• Starr Durrant

I sprinkle cinnamon to get rid of ants which worked really well but noticed my spider population seemed to drop too - not sure if it was just wishful thinking lol

• Susan S

Why? I don't kill any thing that is not in the house, except for jumping/ wolf spiders that keep other insects control.