E G
E G
  • Atlanta, GA

We are building a pergola. It doesn't have a solid roof. Is there a way to have an overhead light or fan?

AltonSusan SKelly Herendeen
+4

• 3po3

I have seen lights in pergolas, so it's possible, to be sure. There are outdoor-rated lights and fans. I would just make sure to work with a licensed, experienced electrician you trust. You could DIY the pergola fairly easily, but I would hire out the electric part.

• There are outdoor rated lighting fixtures and boxes if you want to go with traditional type fixtures. The wiring must also be rated for outdoor use and sunlight resistant if exposed. But, for a pergola, I find accent lighting like Christmas strings to be more than adequate and a better fit. If you want brighter I would look online for camp site string lighting that uses higher wattage lamps. And, if you really want bright, look for carnival lighting. If all else fails just drop in a flood light here or there. Just remember, the more bulbs the more power needed. Don't overload that circuit.

• Mae Beech

@Midlantic Contracting LLC / Midlantic Electric Inc we had several boxes of indoor / outdoor strings of white christmas lights not being used so we strung them up on our pergola and it was the perfect touch. not to bright but plenty light enough for outside enjoyment.

• LandlightS

EG..I just came across you post. Yes, a ceiling fan with light can be added. I've done it many times. Please let me know if still interested. Gary landlights@gmailcom

• Kelly Herendeen

I have one! My suggestion is to make sure you don't put a light-just attracts bugs-just put one up that is rated for outdoors,fully sealed electric! we found ours at Lowes, had it installed by certified electrician who sealed the cording in pvc pipe and painted it to match our pergola color Good luck!

• Susan S

Royce is the company that we used for our outdoor pergola( which does not have a solid roof) chandalier. It has closed globes and is rated for wet. We ordered from Menards. Our fans which were wet rated we purchased from Home Depot. Be careful to purchase only "wet" not damp rated fixtures. We love the look. There is definatley not a large enough selection in my opinion of "Wet" outdoor fixtures.All of the pieces we're what we considered affordable and in most consumers budgets. Love Love Love how it turned out. We are still in the process of finishing our gardening spaces tomorrow we are planting 60 hostas. Will post more pictures.

• Alton

Just remember not to spray fan's with Clorox while trying to kill mold and other stuff . It will eat up fan's motor .