Asked on Jun 5, 2016

Looking for a homemade oven cleaner for our very dirty oven

Karen ReillyBarbara BuchanDianne
+6

Our oven resembles a coal mine. How can we get it clean without using store bought cleaners? One we saw had baking soda and vinegar,but no recipe.
  • Lee Govan
    Lee Govan

If you can get hold of cuttle fish, try a pet shop, they should have them at pet stores to keep small parrots beaks down. If you remove the hard shell form the outside with a screw driver, rub this on the oven, it will wear down quickly so you may need 4 or 5. This will scour scratch free, the same as baking soda does. Or if you mix a little white vinegar with baking soda into a paste and rug that on it will take longer, but will work with a lot of elbow grease. Take the bulk of it off with a flat scraper blade to remove any loose carbon first. Good luck.

Janet Pizaro

Make a paste mixture with baking soda and white vinegar. Apply to the soiled area leaving it on long enough for the stains to lift. Then wipe out and clean as you normally would.

• Marti
      Marti

I even use it on the glass part of door and turns out wonderfully.
  • Joycesom
    Joycesom

I clean all the loose stuff out of the oven first. Then I use a Pyrex cup and fill it with white vinegar. I put the cup of vinegar in a 250 degree oven over night. This loosens most of the baked on grease in the oven. Then I wipe it clean. You might have to do it a second time to get the really thick baked on grease out.

• Sandra
    Sandra

Before the days of self-cleaning ovens, I used ammonia. Left it in the oven over night. The white vinegar works fantastic in the microwave too.

• Dianne
    Dianne

I also clean out all the loose stuff then make a paste of dawn dish detergent and baking soda. I use a pastry brush and apply lightly to all the grime. Let it sit for a few hours then rinse Thoroughly.

• 153091
      153091

@Dianne I use this just add a little dawn...only I rag-wipe it on...really works well.

• Barbara Buchan
    Barbara Buchan

Ammonia overnight in a baking pan; might work better in a barely warm oven;
    for the racks, put a cup of ammonia in garbage bag with the racks, close tightly and leave outdoors overnight. The baked on gunk wipes off.
  • Karen Reilly
    Karen Reilly

Go on www.brendid.com she has a recipe for kitchen cleaning that uses Dr Bronners Castile soap and baking soda it's great.