Small Front Yard and Big Ideas!!

I live in Japan and this is my whole front yard! What you're looking at was almost all concrete and brick once! I didn't let that stop me though.
My house was actually a company building once with the exterior remodeled to look like a house. I fell completely in love with this house the second I stepped in it. The unconventional floor plan is amazing! The front of the house was a parking lot though! I busted out most of the concrete on this side and put down sod. I extended the planter under the bay window out with bricks and mortar and moved that Camellia tree up away from the house. I wanted more though!
I've always wanted a picket fence!
These are winter creepers.
I put in a second brick planter and added these lovely bushes.
I decided to make a flowerpot sidewalk. I said bye-bye to the grass for now and planted some creeping thyme. Creeping thyme blooms a beautiful purple color and I'm going for total ground cover.
I have 25 large flowerpots growing different kinds of flowers right now. With the right amount of attention they will grow like crazy. I am constantly deadheading, trimming and feeding my flowers. It's time consuming, but I enjoy it.
The other side of the front of my house is a potted tree garden. I successfully grow blueberries, mulberries, cassis berries, olives, oranges, plums and "Ume" Japanese plums.
I also have coffee plants that haven't flowered yet and a peach tree that isn't mature enough to give fruit.
I use a bonsai method on all of my potted trees. I do an awful lot of root trimming and I stick to a schedule. The goal is growing leaves and fruit, not roots. This method is a little intense and time consuming, but works so well.
All of my trees are on their own fertilizing and inspection schedule. I also have two pine trees and a couple cypresses, a couple bushes, a blue hydrangea, a young black Camellia, and an unbelievable amount of succulents.

• Flowers
  • Trees
  • Patience

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers

• Judy Mealy

I want to know more about the coffee plant,does it have the smell of coffee,how big does it get,many coffee beans,where can I buy one,thanks!

• Bryan's Workshop

Hello, I live in Japan and I bought my coffee plants when they were just sprouting. They're all three years old now and coffee plants normally flower at 3-5 years. If not given the right temps they won't flower. My plants are still small but they can get to around 6 feet high. They don't have a smell, because they haven't flowered yet, but they sure look cool! I found this site on Google for buying: http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Coffee-Plant.htm

• Katherine Anne

I love your passion for your garden in your property! We just bought a house and I have a very small front yard as well, the one plant you talked about is a wintercreeper. Is that a plant that still stays green in the winter and is ground cover... Meaning it doesn't look like weeds and looks like beautiful Lush plant life covering the ground. What did you put your fence post in with, are they just Loosely place in the ground or they in securely .I was just curious. Do you have any suggestions for someone who has never planted much but wants to do something with their front yard as far as ground cover that will keep it green in the summer as well as the winters in the east coast of the USA.... Maryland. Your yard and work is beautiful!!!

• Egstagg

I love the imagination. What a beautiful and inviting front yard. Good job!
  • Bryan's Workshop

I try to change up the yard part every year. This year I did tulips in the spring and celosia for this summer. I also put in a different sidewalk.
    , 2017 Tulips, 2017 Celosia