WD-40 or Gulf Wax for use on Plumbing....?

PlumbriteKMS WoodworksWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com

If I use W-D 40 spray on a plumbing fixture to loosen up the action on a pull-out shower valve, could the oil have an adverse reaction with any of the plumbing glues or putties used in the valve? Would it be safer to try parafin wax instead?
  • Do not want to use either. The issue is not rubbing its within the valve itself. Turn off water, remove valve cartridge and replace. Wax would surly bind and the WD-40 stuff will only grease thing up.

• KMS Woodworks

swing my your local home center or hardware store and pickup a small tube of "plumbers grease"...it IS the product designed just for this use. I use it to lubricate and seal o-rings on cartridge valve rebuilds

• Plumbrite

I agree KMS on the grease, and since you have it out replace it with a new one. The binding may be from a pinched o-ring, or a worn out seal.