Irmgard Saunders
Irmgard Saunders
  • Pearland, TX
Asked on Jun 26, 2013

Philodenron plants are getting yellow leaves and brown edges

Douglas HuntShirley ToweIrmgard Saunders
+1

I planted 2 Philodendron plants in March, they were doing fine while it wasn't this hot yet here in Houston, now all of the suddden they look terrible. I water them regularly and planted them in goood Miracle Grow Garden soil. Do I water too much or not enough, that is my question. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
  • Deanna Hookway

Did you use MG garden soil or potting soil? There is a difference in drainage and the fertilizer ratios. Yellowing and brown leaves is usually a sign of overwatering, bad drainage, or over fertilization. Always err on the side of less water. Make sure the pot is draining well and not sitting in the drainage water. Fertilizer contains a lot of salt and it can accumulate in the ends of the leaves, so if fertilizing, stop for a while, especially if fertilizing on top of the MG soil. Cut off the yellow leaves as they will not revive. Trim the brown off the other leaves unless the whole leaf looks terrible, then cut it off as well. Philodendrons also do not need a tremendous amount of sun. If in full sun, pull it back. Low to medium indirect light will do. Good luck.

• Irmgard Saunders

They are not in pots, they are in the flower bed, I am almost thinking it is due to overwatering and they do get a lot of sun as well!! Thank you for taking the time to answer me! <3

• Shirley Towe

Philodenron plants are usually planted in pots in the house or if outside, in the shade, not sun and dont overwater.

I think philodendrons would definitely want some shade in Texas.